Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Is that a JoJo reference?

List of references in SF2

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Is that a JoJo reference?

Postby DiegoMM » Thu Nov 22 2018 12:12am

Jojo References---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
JoJo Bizarres Adventures is one of the most influential manga in japan by the later 80s and begginning of 90s and influenced many mangakas and game producers, so you can see references of jojo in many places. SF2 is no diference. I can spot 2 references.

1 - Polnareff is a name of a very popular Jojo character, is a french guy from part 3 and he is the comic relief (and inspired Benimaru nikaido from kof series). This is the only reason to the name polnareff be popular in japan in that time and guess what: is Elric original name. When I first heard that Elric was named Polnareff I was lika "what the hell?" But after watching Jojo, makes complete sense they want to use that strange name. No other similarities between tha characters, though.

2 - Ora ora ora! In part 3 Jojo can summon a "Stand", that its kind of a ghost. His stand star platinum throw a flurry of punchs yelling "ora ora ora ora!". Well, its the exactly inspiration of the Atlas summon in sf2, they made the most powerful summon a reference to the mighty punches that Jojo can summon. The shape of hands, the vicous speed and the very idea of summoning make it clear to a Jojo fan that is a reference.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other japanese culture references

3 - Gamera: Its the most know reference, kiwi monster promotion is a direct reference to Gamera, a kaiju that star movies like Godzilla. Gamera is a giant turtle who can fly with fire comming out of its shell and can breath fire.

4 - Dragon Ball Z - The Apollo Summon is a reference to super sayajin in DBZ. Not only apollo has a point blonde hair but the way he attacks is the same way a DBZ characters shoots a lot of energy blasts from hands. The same reference can be seen in a boss of Contra Hard Corps.

Thats it, if you notice more references, feel free to post.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Real world/historical references
5- Red baron: The Red Baron was the name applied to Manfred von Richthofen, a German fighter pilot who was the deadliest flying ace of World War I.

6- Nazca: Nazca refers to a culture in pre-columbiam Peru in south America, they produced marks on ground named geoglyphs, knows as Nazca lines. The Nazca ship in the game is draw based on Nazca lines.
7- Willard: The name of the boss of rats is a reference to Willard movie, that is a 1971 American horror film based on the novel Ratman's Notebooks. In the movie the character Willard can control rats.

8- Talos: Taros in the game is a bad translation, because japanese use R instead of L, its a direct reference to the giant bronze automaton in greek mythology. The other mythologic monsters in the game are pretty obvious, I just put Taros here because many dont know the original myth and the name difference.
Last edited by DiegoMM on Tue Nov 27 2018 12:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
I learned english playing Shining Force 2!
DiegoMM

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Is that a JoJo reference?

Postby DomingoRules! » Thu Nov 22 2018 1:36am

Having discovered both DBZ and Shining Force at around the same time in my life, and both having a similar impact, Apollo was always my favorite summon because of how much he reminded me of a Dragon Ball character.
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Is that a JoJo reference?

Postby DiegoMM » Tue Nov 27 2018 12:14pm

added 4 new references.
DiegoMM

Shining Member
Shining Member

Return to Shining Force II