Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Having issues with Caravan to edit sprites

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Having issues with Caravan to edit sprites

Postby Vegeta9001 » Tue Apr 23 2019 7:09pm

Hi everybody something like 7 years ago I was messing around with Caravan and made a hack of Shining Force 2 with my own sprites and stats for monster and force members and I felt like improving it by adding some more stuff in it.

For example here is what I did.

Hero Battle1.gif

I edited the hero sprite to make him look like Young Link.

But today I tried to add the Shining Force 1 hero after editing it to make it look like Link too and this is what happen.

Hero Battle2.gif

I have no idea why it does that I never had this issue before in the past as far as I can remember, I tried to change the colors and I messed with this for 2 hours without resolving this issue.

I'm still using Caravan v0.6 and I have no idea i there is better program that was made since then to edit the game, anybody can help me out?

(BTW I would like to know if there is better program than Caravan v0.6 maybe an updated version? To edit sprites of the character or edit the game in general.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vegeta9001

Re: Having issues with Caravan to edit sprites

Postby FfuzzyLogik » Tue Apr 23 2019 7:30pm

The problem here is a "palette" problem. The first colour (black in the second gif) is considered as transparent. You must use something to make the purple being the first colour !
I personnaly use actually Gimp (who's free) to do that. You open your gif, you go on "colour" then one sub-option give ability to re-organize palette. You can place the colour will be "transparent" on the left.
Notice one important detail, the two last colours will be used for weapons and I suggest to place black and white at the same slots, I suppose they are used aswell. So "transparent" first then white then black.

You can also use Wiz tools to work ; I have not used them for now but they look very nice ! They intend to give more abilities but all's not finished. Read on forum about them.

Have a good day,
FfuzzyLogik

Postby Vegeta9001 » Tue Apr 23 2019 7:49pm

Thanks man, I'll try that, do you know if there was any update on Caravan or if someone made a better program to edit SF2? Since I'm still using the 7-9 years old Caravan V0.6
Vegeta9001

Postby FfuzzyLogik » Tue Apr 23 2019 9:15pm

It looks to be the latest. In my case I came here just two monthes ago so I'm not the best person to have answers. As I told Wiz is making a new "toolbox" but its in progression. Again, read posts about that ; they are recent...
FfuzzyLogik

Postby Vegeta9001 » Tue Apr 23 2019 9:28pm

Alright sorry about that, I'll try to see if there is a better program than Caravan to edit the text/dialogue in the game since with Caravan I remember the game breaking for some reason.

And also thanks I was able to fix the issue with the sprites. <3
Vegeta9001

Postby FfuzzyLogik » Wed Apr 24 2019 3:21pm

Cool if it works, its perfect.
FfuzzyLogik

Return to Shining Force II