Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

What gives boss battle theme to monsters?

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

What gives boss battle theme to monsters?

Postby Vegeta9001 » Tue Jun 11 2019 10:38pm

What I mean by this is how does the game consider a certain monster a boss and give it the "Boss battle theme" ?

I'm trying to find how to give more monster the boss battle theme for my hack since I added few more bosses in the game here and there and edited the text in the game to try to give them some personality and roles and so on, but the problem is its far less fun to fight them when they got the normal monster battle theme.

So yeah does anybody here know if its possible to do that?

"EDIT"

I tried Hex Editor to look at some monster data but I didn't really find anything either.
Vegeta9001

Re: What gives boss battle theme to monsters?

Postby Siel » Thu Jun 13 2019 7:56pm

The game is hardcoded to compare the attacking enemy's ID against 8 specific boss ID to trigger the boss theme if it finds a match. As it is, it's not expendable and, at best, one could put in a new enemy only by first removing another.

So, here's a patch that softens the code to have it compare against a list of enemies instead:
Boss Music Dynamic

The list starts at 24170 and ends at 2418F, leaving space for 32 enemies that trigger the boss theme. For now, the list contains the default bosses: 57, 58, 5B, 5C, 5E, 5F, 60, 61, with the rest being empty (FF). The code will abort the check when it hits an entry containing FF, so do place the intended enemy entries together. The check will also stop itself after checking 32 times, so there's no danger in replacing every FF entry.

Zeon has his own theme and is therefore exempted from this patch.
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Vegeta9001 » Fri Jun 14 2019 1:22am

Thank you very much I'll try that, I'll try to find what are the other ID for other monster slots.

Are you using HxD to edit those or a certain program? Since when I try to add monster 100 which is 64 in hex the game doesn't start at all and stay on a black screen even if I put back the hex to normal the game seem to be permanently broken.

Sign... This is probably because I'm using an hacked rom, this is truly pissing me off so many good looking patches just doesn't work on my hacked rom, so much potential wasted, I'm gonna try this on fresh roms.

"Edited"

I tried this on a fresh extended 4mb .bin rom and it does the samething then tried it on a 100% fresh .smd rom and same result, and I'm certain I'm doing this right so I have no idea why it does that, unless I need a special program.
Vegeta9001

Postby Siel » Fri Jun 14 2019 5:53am

Oh yeah, the .smd's file structure is completely different and the patch I provided is for the .bin version. Why it wouldn't work for the converted+expanded bin though, I don't know.

Well, here's the smd version of the patch:
Boss Music Dynamic - .smd version

The list's length is shortened to 16 entries and goes from 242B2 to 242C1.

If you want to expand the list further, 242A1 can be edited from 0F to up to 19 to allow the list to go up to 242CB (26 entries). Beyond that, it'll probably make Zeon crash the game.
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Vegeta9001 » Fri Jun 14 2019 6:14am

Thanks for trying to help me man I appreciate it.

Well just to be sure I'm doing this right, this is what I did for the bin ips on my hacked rom.

Hex code.png

As you can see I replaced the FF with 64 which is monster slot number 100 which is the one I want to change.

As for the .smd ips patch I tried this and added 27 which is the hex code for Gizmo as far as I know I did this to test but...

Hex code2.png

For both when I do the edit with that hex editor and save the the game just flat out doesn't start and stay on a black screen am I doing something wrong? Are those number not right? I'm pretty sure they are correct so I do not know what I'm doing wrong.

The program I use to apply the ips patch is called Lunar IPS maybe that's the problem? I don't know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vegeta9001

Postby Siel » Fri Jun 14 2019 6:31am

With a quick look at the surrounding code, it looks like both .bin and .smd versions of the patch are overwriting at the right location with the right data. I unfortunately have no clue about why it then would not only not work, but even prevent the game from starting. The changes only pertain to which BGM is to be used during an enemy's attack, so it should at most just be causing crashes when entering a battle sequence.
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Vegeta9001 » Fri Jun 14 2019 6:37am

Damn, this is weird then you have the link to the source of that patch?
Vegeta9001

Postby Siel » Fri Jun 14 2019 6:42am

Okay, after a second look, it looks like in both cases, you deleted 2 bytes to replace with only 1 byte, which shifts everything after that off by 1. That's probably the cause, especially since stuff like music and the title screen are stored after that point.
Last edited by Siel on Fri Jun 14 2019 6:47am, edited 2 times in total.
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Vegeta9001 » Fri Jun 14 2019 6:45am

Really? Let me take a look.

"EDIT"

Well What I do is I remove one set of FF and replace it with 64 is that wrong? Maybe its the program I'm using that do weird stuff? Let me try another hex editor.
Last edited by Vegeta9001 on Fri Jun 14 2019 6:55am, edited 1 time in total.
Vegeta9001

Postby Siel » Fri Jun 14 2019 6:53am

The program you're using probably overwrites by default instead of inserting, which means you don't have to manually delete any sets of FF to replace them.

Well, one more thing to test just in case could be this: does the game load properly if just the patch is applied on a fresh ROM, without any hex editing?
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Vegeta9001 » Fri Jun 14 2019 7:07am

You were right I changed Hex editor and now the game doesn't do the black screen now I just need to test this.

"Edit"

Thanks man it finally works! Now I'll be able to give few more monster in my game lore an actual boss theme. <3

I cannot believe it was this simple I knew something was wrong than deleting hex and not replacing to edit them was weird.
Vegeta9001

Return to Shining Force II