Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Shining Force 2 is really good

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Shining Force 2 is really good

Postby DVthemaster » Fri Jun 28 2019 11:08pm

So I'm someone like most people on this forum that loves the Shining series. My personal favorite game in the series is Shining Force 1, which is mostly because of nostalgia and that I personally thought the game was better than the other Shining games. I've beaten Shining Force 1 about 8 times with the most recent time being this year when I bought the Sega Genesis Classics Collection for the Switch. Recently I started playing through Shining Force 2 again, which I always thought was worse than the first game but still really good. I've beaten Shining Force 2 about twice and the last time I played the game was about 3 or 4 years ago. So I decided to play Shining Force 2 again after I beat Shining Force 1 for the hell of it. But I noticed something odd. I'm far enough in Shining Force 2 where I'm going to North Paramecia and it's weird but so far I really think the game is better than Shining Force 1. When I originally played the game I didn't think this, but goddamn this game is good. I don't know if I'm in a different mind state or something but I'm really enjoying the game unlike before. I don't know if I'll dislike the game more as it goes on but the only thing I kinda dislike is the story compared to the first game, but it really isn't that bad to the point where I'm bored or can't enjoy the game. Even though I'm still disapointed I forgot to equip the Vigor Ball to Sarah to promote her, so now I have Sarah as a Vicar. I don't hate Vicars so don't get mad. Anyways that's it, just kinda wanted to rant a little bit about this.
:thumbsup:
DVthemaster

Re: Shining Force 2 is really good

Postby DiegoMM » Sat Jun 29 2019 2:07pm

Is really really good;
Its my favorite game of all, but trust me, I hate the vicar; Worst design ever!
Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
DiegoMM

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby DVthemaster » Sat Jun 29 2019 7:05pm

@DiegoMM I know right, but I just think it's weird how I never thought of the game in this way before. Maybe because I got older, but I still hate Vicars lmao.
DVthemaster

Postby DomingoRules! » Sat Jun 29 2019 9:21pm

Personally, I feel as though the second game is superior in almost every way, except arguably the story and graphics. It has bigger battles with outside maps that are (generally) less frustratingly tedious to traverse, less pathetic enemy AI, and better balancing with both ally and enemy units alike. Not to mention that it has more interesting boss battles that are more than just hoping your inaccurate attacks hit before the enemy's HP regenerates. Compared to the second game, I've always felt as though the first game was almost experimental, like they were getting their feet wet with this new game concept that they then moved on to improve with SF2 by using SF1 as a learning platform.
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby DVthemaster » Sun Jun 30 2019 2:44am

@DomingoRules! Yeah I pretty much agree with everything you said, but the first game is still sooooooo good.
DVthemaster

Postby DomingoRules! » Sun Jun 30 2019 3:48am

First game's also great, but usually the only times I choose it over the second is if I played through the second very recently already, or if I'm just in the mood for a bit of a shorter experience.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Guy Jepson » Sun Jul 14 2019 3:36am

why so much Vicar hate??
for Sarah; VICR+early Goddess Staff >>>>>>>>> MMNK
Guy Jepson

Postby thepeaguy » Wed Jul 17 2019 1:05am

I'm glad you appreciate the 90s games, bro, being a young 'un.

Even though it isn't as polished as Dark Souls, Shining Force II is a tactical rpg masterpiece from that era.

Shining Force II is the very first game that got me hooked into the series. It was like being directly involved a Japanese cartoon with all the anime-esque battle scenes. It was all we had back then. We didn't have first class acting, cgi cutscenes and all that fancy jazz of today.
thepeaguy

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby DVthemaster » Tue Jul 30 2019 11:49pm

thepeaguy wrote:I'm glad you appreciate the 90s games, bro, being a young 'un.

Even though it isn't as polished as Dark Souls, Shining Force II is a tactical rpg masterpiece from that era.

Shining Force II is the very first game that got me hooked into the series. It was like being directly involved a Japanese cartoon with all the anime-esque battle scenes. It was all we had back then. We didn't have first class acting, cgi cutscenes and all that fancy jazz of today.

Thanks for the compliments man!
Luckily I started playing the games was young so I got hooked.
(sorry for the late post)
DVthemaster

Postby rid1ey » Wed Jul 31 2019 8:47am

Does a corrected English patched version of the Japanese original exist?

So, for example you can search chests in battle and the mistranslations are corrected?
Switch Friend code: SW-6146-8724-6311
3DS Friend Code: 1736-1423-5795
Xbox 360 Gamertag: rid1ey
rid1ey

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby thepeaguy » Wed Jul 31 2019 11:27am

rid1ey wrote:Does a corrected English patched version of the Japanese original exist?

So, for example you can search chests in battle and the mistranslations are corrected?

I heard about a translation patch for SF1 but not for 2.

There is a selection of patches in one of the stickied topics, though.
thepeaguy

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby rid1ey » Wed Jul 31 2019 2:31pm

thepeaguy wrote:
rid1ey wrote:Does a corrected English patched version of the Japanese original exist?

this is surprising what with Shining Force III English Translation and Final Conflict being considerably harder to patch ...There seems to be lots of available for LOGI ...guess that's the fan favourite.

I know there were translation errors in the western version, names were wrong and you could not open the chests in battle thus making one item a Japanese exclusive (...a ring, maybe?) would it be an impossible task to put the fixed English text in the Japanese version? It's not my 'Forte' ( Holy Ark nod :D )
rid1ey

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby thepeaguy » Thu Aug 01 2019 7:35pm

rid1ey wrote:
thepeaguy wrote:

this is surprising what with Shining Force III English Translation and Final Conflict being considerably harder to patch ...There seems to be lots of available for LOGI ...guess that's the fan favourite.

I know there were translation errors in the western version, names were wrong and you could not open the chests in battle thus making one item a Japanese exclusive (...a ring, maybe?) would it be an impossible task to put the fixed English text in the Japanese version? It's not my 'Forte' ( Holy Ark nod :D )

I believe that the fan consensus feel that SF2's localisation is decent, despite some deliberate changes to the script.

Back in those days, localisers of Japanese video games were working on what they feel is a separate product from the original. Accuracy was never an issue until fans started to demand for it, thanks to these revelations found on the internet.

Ultimately, if you want to read the original script of any jrpg, you have to learn Japanese. It's the only way. Otherwise, you just get more of the localisation team.
thepeaguy

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby DomingoRules! » Fri Aug 02 2019 6:17am

To be fair, in a lot of cases there's not really anything inherently wrong with localizations. Aside from the occasional goof, like replacing Lucifer with Dark Dragon, causing the events in SF1 to not make any sense because of implying that Dark Dragon and Darksol were once existent side-by-side.

Usually though, I never really feel myself questioning changes made to a localization until after the changes are brought to my attention. An example being in Chrono Trigger, where the characters get drunk on booze, and wake up with hangovers. In the US version though, the booze was replaced with soup, and the characters wound up getting sick because they ate too much. Sure now I find the original US version ridiculous at that part, but the fact that there was anything amiss never crossed my mind until I played the DS remake, which redid the translation. Prior to that, I just accepted it for what it was, especially since the story plays out just as well regardless.
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Maeths » Sun Aug 11 2019 9:33am

So yeah, SF2 was the first Force game I played back in '95, so that's what started it for me. When playing SF1 I originally was a bit disappointed, because it's so much clunkier than 2. Also SF2 is way more balanced, as someone already said. However, nowadays I think I get a bit more replay value out of 1, perhaps because I've played 2 one to many times, but I suspect also because of the higher gratification effect that the occasional +7 attack gives compared to a consistent +1 to +3 (even if the end result is basically the same every playthrough). Doubt I'm the only one with such primitive fixes.

Otherwise, 1 is arguably more charming, but 2 is certainly more polished and smooth.
Maeths

Return to Shining Force II