Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Characters map sprites being bugged.

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Characters map sprites being bugged.

Postby Vegeta9001 » Tue Jul 16 2019 1:23pm

Hi guys I'm working on my own rom hack since few months now and I've encounter a major issue than I just cannot seem to be able to fix.

The problem is this look at these pictures its self explanatory.

character sprite1 (1).png

As you can see Taya sprite and portrait look like Skreech for some reason and I think it has something to do with me changing her class, since I made customs sprites and class for other characters and I took for example the Paladin Class and the Sorceress class to make my own custom class and gave Taya the Wizard class instead.

If you look at that pictures you can see her sprites seem to be fine in the caravan files.

character sprite1 (2).png

I think its related to the change of class since before I changed Taya class she was fine but after I gave her the Wizard class her sprites on the world map is bugged even in battle but its fine in the fight scene so its only the map sprites.

Is there any way to fix this? I cannot give her back her original class since its already used by someone else and that class is suppose to be unique also Higins have the exact same issues as Taya and I changed his class to Pegasus knight.

This is weird since I did change Chester class and no issues there, chester current class is the old Taya sorceress class and he is fine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vegeta9001

Re: Characters map sprites being bugged.

Postby Siel » Wed Jul 17 2019 12:28am

It looks like special classes are coded to use one sprite forward relatively to non-special classes and Taya's sprite number is set with that in mind. If she's changed to a non-special class, she ends using one sprite backward, which is Skreech's.

I don't think there's a way to edit sprites by character from the SF2 Editor, but it can be done through a hex editor:
The data for which sprite to use by character is at $44A5E to $44A7B, ordered by character, with $44A73 being Taya.

each value is then modified like so, depending on class:
unpromo without special promo: -1
promo without special promo: -0

unpromo with special promo: -2
promo with special promo: -1
special with special promo: -0

Or here's a patch that shifts Taya's sprite number up by one:
Taya Sprite +1
Siel

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Characters map sprites being bugged.

Postby Stordarth » Wed Aug 14 2019 4:19pm

Can confirm. Special promotions have an additional +1 to sprite address offset. Had to contend with this when making the Milestone edition.

Code: Select all
Dice Codes
Attack/Marked Target: /roll 8d100
Damage Variance (Rebels): /roll d18 [Blake with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Damage Variance (Emissaries): /roll d16 [Zuberi with Blade], /roll d21 [Rain with Katana, Thrald with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Magic: /roll d26
Status Effects: /roll d100
Level-Ups (No/Fixed MP): /roll 4d11
Level-Ups (Has MP): /roll 5d11

---
SFCW-A: Durandar
Sunken Castle: Fintan Kahn

Code: Select all
Dice Codes
Attack/Marked Target: /roll 8d100
Damage Variance (Rebels): /roll d18 [Blake with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Damage Variance (Emissaries): /roll d16 [Zuberi with Blade], /roll d21 [Rain with Katana, Thrald with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Magic: /roll d26
Status Effects: /roll d100
Level-Ups (No/Fixed MP): /roll 4d11
Level-Ups (Has MP): /roll 5d11

---
SFCW-A: Durandar
Sunken Castle: Fintan Kahn
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Return to Shining Force II