Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Shining Force 2 Editor Release

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Shining Force 2 Editor Release

Postby Space King » Wed Jul 26 2006 7:36am

If anyone wants or needs the program, it can be downloaded here.

This will probably be the last version outside of extremely fiddly little things. You can use the source for whatever you'd like; that's why it's out there.

Since it's sunsetting, I wouldn't be averse to talking about it retrospectively.

---

Release 1 is out there for ya'all.

There are a lot of "neat" things you can find in there; a lot of arrows seem to share the critical sword's "increased critical" mod. Also seeing how the alternate promotions compare to one another. Chester really looks like he got gimped with Pegasus Knight.

This should be sufficient to make a difficulty modification, or a character rebalance. Personally, Peter is massively overpowered; he should have his move reduced to 6 and his defense and life reduced somewhat. In the same vein, birdman oughta be bumped back up to 7 move - does anyone have any idea why they dropped it to 6 in this game?

Another handy use of it could be to set the default names of people to HUMAN NAMES THAT AREN'T ALL IN CAPS.
Last edited by Space King on Wed May 08 2013 10:59pm, edited 4 times in total.
Space King

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Re: Shining Force 2 Editor Release

Postby AlmightyG » Wed Jul 26 2006 1:22pm

Very Impresive! Unforunately I don't think people will want to edit their roms so I dunno how it'll go over. Intresting creation though, might be good in the future when a full on Shining Force II game editor can be created.
The warrior sleeps, twixt hall and cavern hole
The warrior sleeps, twixt hall and cavern hole
AlmightyG

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Stordarth » Wed Jul 26 2006 1:23pm

I've just downloaded to have a gander.

the 1st page didnt really do much for me.... but then i opened a few of the other option pages...

I'm blown away!

This will really help in crafting viable SF2 solos, namely because we can set new spell progressions.

I noticed that sprite options were there but greyed out. Is there a reason for that?

Code: Select all
Dice Codes
Attack/Marked Target: /roll 8d100
Damage Variance (Rebels): /roll d26 [Everyone.]
Damage Variance (Emissaries): /roll d24 [Assassins with Katana], /roll d21 [MXC, TUM with Blade], /roll d26 [Any other case.]
Magic: /roll d26
Status Effects: /roll d100
Level-Ups (No MP): /roll 4d11
Level-Ups (Has MP): /roll 5d11

---
SFCW-A: Durandar
Sunken Castle: Fintan Kahn

Dice Codes
Damage Variance (Emissaries): /roll d24 [Assassins with Katana], /roll d21 [MXC, TUM with Blade], /roll d26 [Any other case.]

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Space King » Wed Jul 26 2006 10:05pm

Thanks.

The battle sprites for characters are stored in a kind of odd way; there're some numbers in the middle of the list that seem to be out of no where. Since I haven't found the map sprites, and I've been sitting on this thing for months now, I just wanted to get a release out before moving.

Adding spell slots to a character expands that section of the rom into a bank of repeating 1's and 0's, and updates some pointers that... point to a few tables that are moved. I hope that isn't important for anything! If anything in it has a chance of goofing up the rom, it's adding in more spell slots; but looked perfectly fine in my tests.
Space King

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby ChillinVillain » Wed Jul 26 2006 11:43pm

Wow, this is really cool. Thanks a lot and keep up the good work.
ChillinVillain

shining n00b
Shining Hero

Postby Johnler » Thu Jul 27 2006 1:31am

This is pretty cool, now I can make messed up and juiced up characters :thumbsup:
Cool beans.
Cool beans.
Johnler

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Stordarth » Thu Jul 27 2006 1:49pm

lemon still cant equip stuff! XD

have u had any success with that glitch space king?

good luck with the move as well. hope all goes well. :thumbsup:

Dice Codes

---

Dice Codes

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Space King » Thu Jul 27 2006 1:53pm

As far as I know of, this Lemon glitch is completely and totally due to the emulator used. Are you all about using Genecyst? (Though I never suffered this in 'cyst)

Bloodlust Software did an awesome job making the first free, good emulators back in the day; but they have terrible sound emulation and iffy accuracy in other places. Really only good to use if you need a speedy emu for a slowish computer.
Space King

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Stordarth » Thu Jul 27 2006 1:56pm

i've tried it on gens, gens plus, etc. I have kega but dont like it. i could try it on that and see if theres a difference.

I never used genecyst.

I always thought it was a rom issue...

EDIT: Sure enough, I loaded it into Kega, and lemon was capable of equiping as normal! must be an issue with gens.

Dice Codes

---

Dice Codes

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Space King » Thu Jul 27 2006 3:04pm

I just tried this out and it looks like Gens is the only emulator that does this. Most people use the save-state editor to get around it, that I heard of.

Fixed a couple bugs I noticed. Most notable is making the monster gold value field 5 characters long instead of 3. >_>
Space King

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Stordarth » Thu Jul 27 2006 3:17pm

Space King @ Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:04 pm) wrote: I just tried this out and it looks like Gens is the only emulator that does this. Most people use the save-state editor to get around it, that I heard of.

Fixed a couple bugs I noticed. Most notable is making the monster gold value field 5 characters long instead of 3. >_>

thats right. its just a major pain opening it every time u want to equip him with a new weapon.

Dice Codes

---

Dice Codes

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Stordarth » Thu Jul 27 2006 7:36pm

unless ur doing his solo.... :damnit:

Dice Codes

---

Dice Codes

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Thu Jul 27 2006 7:53pm

Well anyway, those are great news. :)
I despise berzerk attitude.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Secretary of Odds and Ends, Rainblood Secessionists
Jinx unto ye!

Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.

Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24551#p668069
I despise berzerk attitude.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Secretary of Odds and Ends, Rainblood Secessionists
Jinx unto ye!

Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.

Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24551#p668069
Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby Stordarth » Thu Jul 27 2006 11:27pm

I've found an annoying little bug in the program.

I'm not sure if it's to do with the rom information itself, or the code for the form. I was editting the level at which sarah's spells were learned, altering the progression to fit with being lvl 20 from the start of the game. I found that in the Character Stats form, as soon as I click the box to change the level at which the character learns the selected spell, the level at which the spell directly above this slot changes to match the value currently in the box, and changes to whatever value you add in. I tried making a surpluss spell slot to try and account for it, but this has not helped me get around it.

EDIT:

I've narrowed the bug down. It seems the level at which the spell is learned is not attached to any particular spell when you first type a value in. It seems you have to enter the level 1st, and THEN click the slot you want to modify.

EDIT2:

Trying to change an items name crashes the editor.... Soooooooooo close to restoring the Chaos Breaker to its former glory.... :(

Dice Codes

---

Dice Codes

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Space King » Fri Jul 28 2006 2:05am

Okay, the spell level assignment isn't working as intended. A work around is to click off on a text box on the form before selecting another spell.

The item names aren't editing like they should it seems, despite how I recall testing it extensively. However, I'm not getting any crashes from goofing with it. Did you do any fancy with it to make it croak?

Should have these delt with and uploaded before midnight. Thanks a bunch for helping me out.

Edit: Should be fixed now, posted.

Resizing allocated name lengths isn't supported right now; to get the Force Sword to be called Chaos Breaker you can do it by hand with a hex editor.
Space King

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Stordarth » Fri Jul 28 2006 5:02pm

Space King @ Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:05 am) wrote: Okay, the spell level assignment isn't working as intended. A work around is to click off on a text box on the form before selecting another spell.

The item names aren't editing like they should it seems, despite how I recall testing it extensively. However, I'm not getting any crashes from goofing with it. Did you do any fancy with it to make it croak?

Should have these delt with and uploaded before midnight. Thanks a bunch for helping me out.

Edit: Should be fixed now, posted.

Resizing allocated name lengths isn't supported right now; to get the Force Sword to be called Chaos Breaker you can do it by hand with a hex editor.

thanks for that space king.

irrelevant now, but all i did to cause the crash was change one value in the name of the item, and down it went. fresh rom and all. didnt matter.

Space, i will continue to sing your praises for this. this is the best thing to come out since SF Edit.

EDIT: Tried opening up the rom in Ultraedit. Found the value, and have been able to change it manually, but it seems adding 2 bytes to gain the needed letter breaks the rom. kinda like what would happen if you had 2 extra amino acids in your dna i guess. Could you test this If you get a chance, space?

i downloaded the program again. name changing in the editor still crashes for me. Im wondering if there any new runtime files i might need.

Dice Codes

---

Dice Codes

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby MXC » Fri Jul 28 2006 10:52pm

Stordarth @ Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:02 pm) wrote: EDIT: Tried opening up the rom in Ultraedit. Found the value, and have been able to change it manually, but it seems adding 2 bytes to gain the needed letter breaks the rom. kinda like what would happen if you had 2 extra amino acids in your dna i guess. Could you test this If you get a chance, space?

Try removing some unneeded shit... as in the two extra chests (Mitula's, Prism), Luke :shifty: , etc.
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby Stordarth » Sat Jul 29 2006 12:43am

MXC @ Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:52 pm) wrote: Try removing some unneeded shit... as in the two extra chests (Mitula's, Prism), Luke :shifty: , etc.

:lol:

Not sure i can just do that. The safest thing to do would be to store the information for the new name at the end and change the reference pointer for the force sword itself. i sadly dont know how to do this, but perhaps space king does?

Dice Codes

---

Dice Codes

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Space King » Sat Jul 29 2006 12:50am

Item names still crash? Hrm, it isn't a runtime thing if you can edit other names. I'll check it out some more. What version of windows are you using?

This is in the "dev notes" under help, I think, but I'll save you some time. The name lists have a number that precede each name. This number tells the rom's parser how to "count" through the list. "Medical Herb" has a 12 right before it, for example. If you want to add something here, you have to take something away elsewhere. There are 37 values of 255 after the list that MIGHT be able to be expanded into; I just messed with it and looks like it's ok. Doing it by hand of course, is a time consuming and error prone process.

Gah, sorting items by name and then editing the name should be kosher now.
Space King

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Next

Return to Shining Force II