Shining Force 2 Editor Release

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26 2006 7:36am
by Space King
If anyone wants or needs the program, it can be downloaded here.

This will probably be the last version outside of extremely fiddly little things. You can use the source for whatever you'd like; that's why it's out there.

Since it's sunsetting, I wouldn't be averse to talking about it retrospectively.

---

Release 1 is out there for ya'all.

There are a lot of "neat" things you can find in there; a lot of arrows seem to share the critical sword's "increased critical" mod. Also seeing how the alternate promotions compare to one another. Chester really looks like he got gimped with Pegasus Knight.

This should be sufficient to make a difficulty modification, or a character rebalance. Personally, Peter is massively overpowered; he should have his move reduced to 6 and his defense and life reduced somewhat. In the same vein, birdman oughta be bumped back up to 7 move - does anyone have any idea why they dropped it to 6 in this game?

Another handy use of it could be to set the default names of people to HUMAN NAMES THAT AREN'T ALL IN CAPS.

Re: Shining Force 2 Editor Release

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26 2006 1:22pm
by AlmightyG
Very Impresive! Unforunately I don't think people will want to edit their roms so I dunno how it'll go over. Intresting creation though, might be good in the future when a full on Shining Force II game editor can be created.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26 2006 1:23pm
by Stordarth
I've just downloaded to have a gander.

the 1st page didnt really do much for me.... but then i opened a few of the other option pages...

I'm blown away!

This will really help in crafting viable SF2 solos, namely because we can set new spell progressions.

I noticed that sprite options were there but greyed out. Is there a reason for that?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26 2006 10:05pm
by Space King
Thanks.

The battle sprites for characters are stored in a kind of odd way; there're some numbers in the middle of the list that seem to be out of no where. Since I haven't found the map sprites, and I've been sitting on this thing for months now, I just wanted to get a release out before moving.

Adding spell slots to a character expands that section of the rom into a bank of repeating 1's and 0's, and updates some pointers that... point to a few tables that are moved. I hope that isn't important for anything! If anything in it has a chance of goofing up the rom, it's adding in more spell slots; but looked perfectly fine in my tests.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26 2006 11:43pm
by ChillinVillain
Wow, this is really cool. Thanks a lot and keep up the good work.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27 2006 1:31am
by Johnler
This is pretty cool, now I can make messed up and juiced up characters :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27 2006 1:49pm
by Stordarth
lemon still cant equip stuff! XD

have u had any success with that glitch space king?

good luck with the move as well. hope all goes well. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27 2006 1:53pm
by Space King
As far as I know of, this Lemon glitch is completely and totally due to the emulator used. Are you all about using Genecyst? (Though I never suffered this in 'cyst)

Bloodlust Software did an awesome job making the first free, good emulators back in the day; but they have terrible sound emulation and iffy accuracy in other places. Really only good to use if you need a speedy emu for a slowish computer.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27 2006 1:56pm
by Stordarth
i've tried it on gens, gens plus, etc. I have kega but dont like it. i could try it on that and see if theres a difference.

I never used genecyst.

I always thought it was a rom issue...

EDIT: Sure enough, I loaded it into Kega, and lemon was capable of equiping as normal! must be an issue with gens.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27 2006 3:04pm
by Space King
I just tried this out and it looks like Gens is the only emulator that does this. Most people use the save-state editor to get around it, that I heard of.

Fixed a couple bugs I noticed. Most notable is making the monster gold value field 5 characters long instead of 3. >_>

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27 2006 3:17pm
by Stordarth
Space King @ Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:04 pm) wrote: I just tried this out and it looks like Gens is the only emulator that does this. Most people use the save-state editor to get around it, that I heard of.

Fixed a couple bugs I noticed. Most notable is making the monster gold value field 5 characters long instead of 3. >_>

thats right. its just a major pain opening it every time u want to equip him with a new weapon.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27 2006 3:53pm
by MXC
He should really only need to equip something new only once :p

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27 2006 7:36pm
by Stordarth
unless ur doing his solo.... :damnit:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27 2006 7:53pm
by Lord Oddeye sama
Well anyway, those are great news. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27 2006 11:27pm
by Stordarth
I've found an annoying little bug in the program.

I'm not sure if it's to do with the rom information itself, or the code for the form. I was editting the level at which sarah's spells were learned, altering the progression to fit with being lvl 20 from the start of the game. I found that in the Character Stats form, as soon as I click the box to change the level at which the character learns the selected spell, the level at which the spell directly above this slot changes to match the value currently in the box, and changes to whatever value you add in. I tried making a surpluss spell slot to try and account for it, but this has not helped me get around it.

EDIT:

I've narrowed the bug down. It seems the level at which the spell is learned is not attached to any particular spell when you first type a value in. It seems you have to enter the level 1st, and THEN click the slot you want to modify.

EDIT2:

Trying to change an items name crashes the editor.... Soooooooooo close to restoring the Chaos Breaker to its former glory.... :(

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28 2006 2:05am
by Space King
Okay, the spell level assignment isn't working as intended. A work around is to click off on a text box on the form before selecting another spell.

The item names aren't editing like they should it seems, despite how I recall testing it extensively. However, I'm not getting any crashes from goofing with it. Did you do any fancy with it to make it croak?

Should have these delt with and uploaded before midnight. Thanks a bunch for helping me out.

Edit: Should be fixed now, posted.

Resizing allocated name lengths isn't supported right now; to get the Force Sword to be called Chaos Breaker you can do it by hand with a hex editor.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28 2006 5:02pm
by Stordarth
Space King @ Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:05 am) wrote: Okay, the spell level assignment isn't working as intended. A work around is to click off on a text box on the form before selecting another spell.

The item names aren't editing like they should it seems, despite how I recall testing it extensively. However, I'm not getting any crashes from goofing with it. Did you do any fancy with it to make it croak?

Should have these delt with and uploaded before midnight. Thanks a bunch for helping me out.

Edit: Should be fixed now, posted.

Resizing allocated name lengths isn't supported right now; to get the Force Sword to be called Chaos Breaker you can do it by hand with a hex editor.

thanks for that space king.

irrelevant now, but all i did to cause the crash was change one value in the name of the item, and down it went. fresh rom and all. didnt matter.

Space, i will continue to sing your praises for this. this is the best thing to come out since SF Edit.

EDIT: Tried opening up the rom in Ultraedit. Found the value, and have been able to change it manually, but it seems adding 2 bytes to gain the needed letter breaks the rom. kinda like what would happen if you had 2 extra amino acids in your dna i guess. Could you test this If you get a chance, space?

i downloaded the program again. name changing in the editor still crashes for me. Im wondering if there any new runtime files i might need.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28 2006 10:52pm
by MXC
Stordarth @ Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:02 pm) wrote: EDIT: Tried opening up the rom in Ultraedit. Found the value, and have been able to change it manually, but it seems adding 2 bytes to gain the needed letter breaks the rom. kinda like what would happen if you had 2 extra amino acids in your dna i guess. Could you test this If you get a chance, space?

Try removing some unneeded shit... as in the two extra chests (Mitula's, Prism), Luke :shifty: , etc.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29 2006 12:43am
by Stordarth
MXC @ Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:52 pm) wrote: Try removing some unneeded shit... as in the two extra chests (Mitula's, Prism), Luke :shifty: , etc.

:lol:

Not sure i can just do that. The safest thing to do would be to store the information for the new name at the end and change the reference pointer for the force sword itself. i sadly dont know how to do this, but perhaps space king does?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29 2006 12:50am
by Space King
Item names still crash? Hrm, it isn't a runtime thing if you can edit other names. I'll check it out some more. What version of windows are you using?

This is in the "dev notes" under help, I think, but I'll save you some time. The name lists have a number that precede each name. This number tells the rom's parser how to "count" through the list. "Medical Herb" has a 12 right before it, for example. If you want to add something here, you have to take something away elsewhere. There are 37 values of 255 after the list that MIGHT be able to be expanded into; I just messed with it and looks like it's ok. Doing it by hand of course, is a time consuming and error prone process.

Gah, sorting items by name and then editing the name should be kosher now.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29 2006 2:59am
by Stordarth
I used the space, but it messed up the class abbreviations. However, with the information u provided, the Chaos Breaker has been fully Restored to its former glory! no more panzy force sword. no more stupid not using freeze with no chance of breakage!

CHA05 BR3AK3R R0oLzzz!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29 2006 3:28am
by MXC
You should still delete Luke.

In all seriousness, that helps make the game better, IMO... at least the inventory image and the battle image (color wise) are the same.

Any way for you to edit the bad spelling in the game (Evil Spilit, etc)?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29 2006 1:12pm
by Stordarth
I hereby dub space king... well... king.... :lol:

this program is simply awesomeness, and the help files are extensive enough that if you cant do it via the program, you can hex edit your way to victory.

The return of the Chaos Breaker would not have been possible without him.

EDIT:

I have uploaded a rom patch with the changes in place.

NOTES:

1. You must make sure that the rom you are patching is a .BIN, not .SMD. google for an smd to bin convertor if yours is .SMD.

2. The rom should be an english Version. it will not work on a Japanese rom.

3. BACk UP your rom. do not use your only rom with this patch.

4. This patch has differences from a standard rom, that have been implemented for use in the SF2 solos. The changes are not complete, and this is not an official SF2 solo patch. It is solely intended to see the force sword as it should have been 1st time round. To hell with King Galam and his renaming!

Recommend that you download the latest file in The Chaos Breaker thread if you intend to replace only the force sword information.

Chaos Breaker Patch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11 2006 12:48pm
by Abbacus
Fantastic. I created using that a whole new type of bat... yellow bat! The colours and shading have come out good. I'm aiming to create a much harder SF2 with it.
The beginning is hard. The gizmo's normal attack now may just put you to sleep. Anyway, fantastic. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24 2006 5:23pm
by Skyblade
While waiting for the awesome things that people are doing with this editor (I haven't used it myself, and I don't plan too, I'll just get Stordy to do all my work for me), I was struck by an idea. Would it be possible to edit the frequency at which the character's special attacks activate? For example, could Kiwi be programmed to do his flame breath attack every time (or never)? Just because early on his flame attack is a killer, but if you level him enough, it's a pain, because his normal attack becomes much more powerful.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25 2006 11:33am
by Vexen
I've never had trouble equipping Lemon with a sword using Gens.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25 2006 2:48pm
by Skyblade
It could be a combination of the ROM used, the emulator used, and possibly several other factors. However, the glitch does exist, and it does annoy the heck out of some people.

And I hate being the last person to post on a page. No one ever goes back to look at the last post, so no one winds up reading my message, which means that no one is going to even notice my idea, let alone be able to test it. Phooey.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25 2006 3:07pm
by Space King
It might be true I mislabled something in the class editor that affects Kiwi's special attack; but this is most likely an unfound byte right now...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25 2006 4:31pm
by T300
Im having the same prob with this that I had with sfedit, as soon as I edit any character, or select them, it freezes and crashes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25 2006 7:08pm
by Stordarth
trhat can be done. kinda.

You can give him spell progression, and use Kiwi Flamebreath lvls one thru 4. Whilst he still does the random breath, your breath will lvl up as you go, and will get stronger. you would use it as you woulf a wizd spell.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26 2006 6:36pm
by Space King
Don't forget the awesome glitchy spell icon for KIWI. The default spell cost of 0 seems cheesy. I've not tested if altering the cost will make it take that much MP away when he automatically does it. I doubt it very much though.

His level 1 breath has a measly power level of 28. They apparantly wanted his breath to "level up" too, to a damage level of 58 at KIWI level 4... but that idea was clearly discounted as being too much work to add to the game's engine for what it was worth, and it really is.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27 2006 11:21am
by Stordarth
indeed that seems to be the case. Kiwi's attack must randomly call the 1st kiwi breath, and they obviously couldn't be arsed/ ran into difficulties when it came to leveling the spell up/ changing the random reference in kiwi's attack.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27 2006 7:15pm
by Helldhaz
Don't forget that enemies such as Pyrohydras use varying levels of that attack.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29 2006 8:55pm
by Space King
The Kiwi Flame breath is actually unique to him; the Pyrohydras use flame breath level 3. It's sort of like Raijin and Katon compared to Bolt and Blaze - they use the same graphics, but the damage is slightly different.

Flame breath goes 16, 24 and then 34 at the last level (3).

Man, I really wish I could have found the battle data to change the actual monsters in a fight....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29 2006 10:14pm
by Skyblade
Abbacus @ Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:48 pm) wrote: Fantastic. I created using that a whole new type of bat... yellow bat! The colours and shading have come out good. I'm aiming to create a much harder SF2 with it.
The beginning is hard. The gizmo's normal attack now may just put you to sleep. Anyway, fantastic. :thumbsup:

Abbacus said he was able to edit the enemies...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31 2006 5:37pm
by Space King
Not the monster stats Sky, the encounter tables. Like specifying what and how many monsters you face in a given battle.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01 2006 4:14pm
by Stordarth
actually Almighty G and I found something rather interesting whilst doing a memory edit in that regard. It seems whatever map you are on, there are something like 16 bits asigned to each unit on the map, for stuff like x and y coordinates on the map, x and y coordinates within a given square, sprite information, speed etc. the thing is, not all of them get used on every map, so we wondered, but never tried, if editing a blank set would actually clone a unit. The changes to the memory were instantaneous, requiring no map change for them to take effect. Can't remember the addresses now, but perhaps Almight G will remember.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01 2006 5:38pm
by T300
T300 @ Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:31 pm) wrote: Im having the same prob with this that I had with sfedit, as soon as I edit any character, or select them, it freezes and crashes.

Anyone?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07 2006 12:57am
by Pliktra797
You have to make sure your SF2 ROM file is in .bin format not .smd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26 2007 6:33am
by MXC
*cough*

Another topic linked here, which I had completely forgotten about. This should be where everyone can see it, especially myself ;P.

Thanks again Space King.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31 2007 12:42am
by Dark Link
I have my rom in .bin format, but every time i click to edit something, it says theres an "error" and closes. Should I try getting a new rom, or what?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31 2007 4:33am
by Space King
I've seen it work on the American and European SF2 release. If it's truly in binary format, the rom shouldn't be an issue.

What version of windows are you using, and what exactly is the error message given (I like screenshots, but a quote is fine too)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01 2007 3:40am
by Dark Link
I have XP (that could be a problem in itself...), as far as Windows.

I don't know what the specific problem is. It just says that "Dev has encountered an error and has to close." then stuff like 'sorry for any lost data', 'try reloading data', etc, but that happends periodically...I don't know, really. It won't kill me to not use the program, I just wanted to try it out is all. No biggie.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01 2007 9:21am
by Space King
>_> thank you Microsoft.

When does this happen? By "periodically", does that mean you can edit something sometimes, but other times it just randomly dies? Are there specific windows that are troublesome?

The only built-in crash is when someone tries to open an edit window when something that is not a binary SF2 rom is loaded (I am also the King of Lazy).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01 2007 2:59pm
by Dark Link
i shouldn't have said 'periodically'. Randomly is better, but it's other programs too. When I try to edit something (like, i go to edit:Character Stats, for example), and even just select the character, or select any of the down arrows, it says that the program has to close.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01 2007 10:11pm
by Space King
Since it's in visual basic with the stock references, the dll's to run this thing should be registered already on everything Windows 95+. I know sometimes stuff becomes emo and just wants to die on your machine (Firefox crashes for me on websites it probably shouldn't :fistshake:)...

The best I could do right now is toss a zip of the basic system files and a little program to call regsvr32, mayhaps... was something I was considering doing when Stordarth mentioned asplosions......

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01 2007 11:22pm
by Dark Link
if it's a hassle, don't worry about it. I have MXC's SF2 challenge and 2 SF solos to work on in the meantime, so I'm fine without it for now.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16 2007 3:48am
by Rusty
This thing is awesome! Very nice work! I don't suppose you plan on making one for SF1? *Hopeful*

Also, some things of note:

For the items/weapons creation/editor bit (where you can change what they do, their stats, etc.), I noticed that the Evade? thing actually refers to HP regen, and ??? refers to MP regen. In a future release will these be appropriately labeled? (Assuming you'll do more releases of this editor)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16 2007 6:48am
by Space King
I've yet to see any sort of regen happen from an entry on the main item table. If you've got that going on for something like the Wood Sword or something, could you show a screen of the data entered?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16 2007 9:42am
by Rusty
Well, the thing is, I saw it under the Life Ring, and as far as I know, the Life Ring does NOT increase evade - it restores HP. The value of "Evade Up?" was set to 5 on the Life Ring - the Life Ring restores 5 HP per round. Therefore, I figured that it wasn't actually an Evade Rate change but a HP increase.

As for ???, that was attached to the Mystery Staff, which gives 2 MP per round. Its value was also 2.

Edit: Upon further testing, it seems it's not a Life regen, even though every indication pointed to that at first glance. o_O Is it thus an Evade Rate change? I don't know. Even when I set the value high, Bowie was not dodging much at all. (only once out of like 8 attacks). So what it is, I'm not really sure. It's interesting, though, because I attached this to the Chirrup Sandals to test it out, and as that's considered a Normal Ring, just like the Life Ring, I thought it would've worked. Clearly, however, it did not. So is it then just programmed within the Life Ring itself and we can't do anything about that? :( (and the MP restore in the Mystery Staff, etc. ? Because I tested that too and nothing :()

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16 2007 1:51pm
by Aldur
In future releases, perhaps a little help, telling you want some things do for people who aren't as knowledgeable about the game would be cool. Also, I'm a bit slow. But on Assigning spells, lemme see if I've got it right.

I want Luke to have an MP growth and to learn Blast. So I add the spell slot? And change it to blast yes?

He joins on level 13. I'd like him to have Blast 2 by then, so I set it to Luke "Birdman" learn them 8 and 9, that should be no problem yeah.

So then for level 3 and 4....Say he gets level 3 at 20. Easy. Now level four? I change it to Bird Battler and pick say level 12 as an example...he'll get it then? But it doesn't show Blast 1-3 in the Bird Battler spell list? Do I need to include them?

And finally, Mp growth, how do I set it up properly? Say I want it Early for Birdman, and Middle for Bird Battler. I mean, I manually have to put Mp in. That's easy for Birdman but...for the Battler it's harder, is there a way to gauge what he'd have at 20?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16 2007 5:19pm
by Space King
Rusty) wrote:Upon further testing, it seems it's not a Life regen, even though every indication pointed to that at first glance.

Yeah, I had tested for regen since it intuitively makes sense that's what it would do - you had me going back in there since I'm pretty paranoid about making an obvious error. Playing through the little start sequence into the first battle for somewhere like the 500th time :<

(As an aside there was a bug in this thing that would occasionally mess up the pointers for spells - I made a carry error in a function that added up the new address. A few people knew but it took about a year for someone to mention it and it made me feel the cold touch of HORROR. Horror. I mention this to encourage people to say something if they think something is amiss. Don't be afeared.)

The critical and counter bonuses seem to be extremely subtle, if even that. The attributes that I don't have a solid idea what they do are labeled with ???'s - \Data\AttributeCodes.txt can be changed without needing a new client.

Um, I am pretty sure that the regen effects can't be set in the item table, has to be somewhere else in there.

Aldur) wrote:So then for level 3 and 4....Say he gets level 3 at 20. Easy. Now level four? I change it to Bird Battler and pick say level 12 as an example...he'll get it then? But it doesn't show Blast 1-3 in the Bird Battler spell list? Do I need to include them?

And finally, Mp growth, how do I set it up properly? Say I want it Early for Birdman, and Middle for Bird Battler. I mean, I manually have to put Mp in. That's easy for Birdman but...for the Battler it's harder, is there a way to gauge what he'd have at 20?

Okay, if you take a look at the other characters you'll see most of them have all their spells set for their unpromoted class. Sarah, for example, learns Detox 4 at level 45. She'll learn that spell at Priest level 45 (which is over the unpromoted level cap, so it'd be impossible) or at a promoted level of 25.

So if you'd want Luke to be able to be able to learn Blast 4 at promoted level 12, set it to 32 as a Birdman. You may have to click the "Use Base Class List" for his Bird Battler stats to get it to work correctly.

The only time you'd want to put spells on the promoted class is when you don't want the basic class to get them. Like how Slade is.

And you generally do not want to have the same spell listed for a character's classes more than once.

As for the MP, this is mentioned in one of the small help files: the "projected" number you put in is about what a character earns by level 30. So promoted at level 20 it'd be around Base + (Projected - Base) * 20/30.

Once promoted, the growth they'll get will just be plus (Projected - Base) for level 30. Just multiply those numbers by 2/3 to estimate level 20 and add it to whatever they'll get before getting promoted.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16 2007 5:56pm
by Aldur
Gotcha now, thanks. =)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16 2007 8:45pm
by BigNailCow
Does the "use base class list" check actually work? It doesn't seem to make a difference when I check or uncheck it; the behavior is the same as it normally is. Is it stored somewhere else, just not implemented, or what? Or did you recently fix it in a new version that I don't have?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16 2007 10:29pm
by Rusty
Now how much do I have to pay you guys to make one of these editors for SF1? >.>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16 2007 10:31pm
by BigNailCow
Rusty @ Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:29 pm) wrote: Now how much do I have to pay you guys to make one of these editors for SF1? >.>

You provide some starting places, like where the info is, and I'm sure one of us could do it at some point. I'm inclined to leave it to Space King since this is his milieu and I'm focusing on other stuff in the games.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16 2007 10:31pm
by Space King
The character details go is something like [Class][Stats and spells] then an ending byte of FF or FE. The FE (or whatever it is) is used at the end of those promotions that continue to learn spells from the base class's list - in theory if it means anything then it would stop having you learn spells off the previous class when unchecked (the game parses through this table, so I believe the thing was supposed to flag the program to "maintain the spell list you've already loaded" in implementation).

If that doesn't work it'd just be vestigial and weird...

Just ran another test by unchecking it on Hero Bowie, he ceased to learn spells. Should be working. If you're thinking that it's supposed to strip the spell list like the Sorcerer class does, that's not it. That function is not done in the same block of data.

A Sorcerer has it called somewhere to drop all of your learned spells, and then adds Dao 1 to its spell list. Whether or not you've listed the character to get Dao 1. That's fairly annoying.

And the fact you can't learn more than one spell per level makes me sad. Limitations.

Seems like a good time to go to sleep.

"Rusty") wrote:Now how much do I have to pay you guys to make one of these editors for SF1? >.>

Um, for just a logistics editor of this scale, no more no less... This thing took me about a month to develop off and on.... at half salary since I wouldn't hate doing it for forever... Holy crap for 75 hours it'd be over five hundred.

Way too tired. SLEEP NOW.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16 2007 10:35pm
by Rusty
BigNailCow @ Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:31 pm) wrote: You provide some starting places, like where the info is, and I'm sure one of us could do it at some point. I'm inclined to leave it to Space King since this is his milieu and I'm focusing on other stuff in the games.

I can only direct you to the character information, unfortunately (which is really easy to edit). My 'hacking' skills are rather limited.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16 2007 10:37pm
by BigNailCow
Well, I tried to give Bowie a new spell on level 1 of the HERO spell list and uncheck the option, and he didn't learn it.

Also, I'm going to look into the item effects being hardcoded into items thing right now. I should have more info soon.

EDIT: Mystery Staff and Life Ring are hardcoded. It SPECIFICALLY checks the item idx of your equipped weapon/accessory at the end of your turn, then handles them individually if you have it equipped. It doesn't even pull the 2 MP or 5 HP numbers from the item data; they're constants.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16 2007 11:04pm
by Space King
Setting a spell level as 21 seems to NOT teach a spell when promoted, which means (haha) the hardcoded Dao 1 is mandatory. Its entry in character data does nothing. (Except for Taya I guess)

If you uncheck the box and have spells at 22 and above they appear to learn them like they should, while ignoring the old spell table.

The hardcoded stuff is very expected. As is insomnia.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19 2007 8:12pm
by Rogue
This whole cool stuff could mean my girl-only Force game is coming soon ™! :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:

Seriously!

Thanks mate for the wonderful job and making it public in such an easy-to-use program for all of us, fans who are not expert programmers as you are. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23 2007 2:32am
by Kaihaku
Very nicely done. I'm impressed. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 06 2008 8:01pm
by Assassins
This thing is fun. I'm having trouble controlling my giddiness

PostPosted: Wed May 21 2008 5:07am
by Kevin
Hmmm...
How come there is no "how to" for operating this thing?
I dont know how to even start the program.
I've downloaded it and extracted both the SF2 edit and SF2EditSource to a seprarate folder each.
Double click the SF2 edit exe. and it opens the program.
What next?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02 2008 8:42pm
by Xaevyan
Kevin @ Tue May 20, 2008 11:07 pm) wrote: Hmmm...
How come there is no "how to" for operating this thing?
I dont know how to even start the program.
I've downloaded it and extracted both the SF2 edit and SF2EditSource to a seprarate folder each.
Double click the SF2 edit exe. and it opens the program.
What next?

You have to go to File and select Open ROM from the drop down menu. Then use the other menus to edit the ROM you are using. When I used it to edit the ROM to fix the glitch with Lemon and equipping a weapon the background stayed blank.

I guess you just have to edit the ROM, save it and reopen it to see the changes. I don't know because I've only used it to fix the Lemon glitch because I use Gens. I plan on using more of it later. It sounds like loads of fun. :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28 2008 10:57pm
by Lord Kane
I've just downloaded the Editor and it's just awesome. Great Work!
It's a pity that there aren't explananations for several options so I have some questions: :confused:

1. The Ninja Katana has as its Attribute 2: "Double Attack Up?" So does the "?" mean it's not 100% clear or something else?

2. Resistences of Monsters/Classes: Are the "Weaknesses" always 25%?

3. What does "Other Resistence" mean? Is it like "Luck" in SF3 or something else? And what does "Minor", "Major" and "Immunity" mean IN DETAIL?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer my questions!!!
Happy New Year!! :excited:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29 2008 4:03pm
by Space King
1. The Ninja Katana has as its Attribute 2: "Double Attack Up?" So does the "?" mean it's not 100% clear or something else?

Yes, anything with a question mark on it is a guess or assumption.
2. Resistences of Monsters/Classes: Are the "Weaknesses" always 25%?

I thought it was a fixed 50% more damage?
3. What does "Other Resistence" mean? Is it like "Luck" in SF3 or something else? And what does "Minor", "Major" and "Immunity" mean IN DETAIL?

I'm assuming it applies to sleep, muddle and/or death spells. Possibly getting poisoned as well? These fields in the unedited game only have certain values used, bits which the checkboxes let you flip.

To get an idea what each of them does exactly, set up a test for each resistance setting for these spells. About 200 repetitions of each should be a decent sample size. Which works out to... 2400 game resets.

....That isn't something I ever personally ever want to do.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29 2008 5:56pm
by Lord Kane
I thought it was a fixed 50% more damage?[

I've never experienced such a high weakness. If you have, you can tell me...

I'm assuming it applies to sleep, muddle and/or death spells. Possibly getting poisoned as well?

I don't think it applies to poison, since you can't poison an enemy, but maybe it concerns dispel and slow, too?? I might try to check, but with a much smaller sample size! ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29 2008 6:31pm
by Obob
As Space King says, the minor/major resistance is for status resistance, which is sleep, muddle, slow, death, and perhaps also some other effects like the MP steal of the indra staff (although that might just always hit no matter who you are facing, I haven't used it much). I can't recall if weakness to an element is 25 or 50%; 25 seems about right. At any rate, everything that is weak to an element has the same level of weakness to the element.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29 2008 7:19pm
by Lord Kane
At any rate, everything that is weak to an element has the same level of weakness to the element.

Then I'm quite sure it's 25%!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27 2009 4:47pm
by Stordarth
Hey Space King.

I've got a question regarding the editor. More a request really. We've been working on the community game for some time now, and the main players are getting ready to start building battles using the caravan. We came up with an innovative way to test everything battle wise, and we want to start setting up classes and sprites. I know your editor lets us assign which battle sprites is used for which character and class combo. It's handy being able to turn sarah into a sdmn with a kiwi sprite. hehe. anyway, i noticed there was no such function for map/overworld sprites, and I wonder if you had looked into it, and if not, if you wouldn't mind adding it in? I know BNC will eventually add everything to the caravan, but he's leaving character data til last, so I wondered if you could check it out for us?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29 2009 4:26am
by Space King
I would have liked to have had that from day 1, but never found if there was a table for it. The overworld sprites gunk up in some cases when you change a guy's class if I recall correctly, right? That would imply one exists.

Urgh. I'll take another few glances into come March, but the answer is certainly still "not unless someone else tells me where it's at".

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29 2009 4:27pm
by Stordarth
I'll poke around as well, see if I can find anything.

from what i can tell, changing the class appears to shift the sprite along by 1. it didnt matter what class i selected for sarah for example, she always turned into the promoted sprite. i dont know if this means anything.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30 2009 2:34am
by MXC
Hey Space King... is there any way to add more classes?

Help please :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30 2009 2:42am
by Stordarth
I dunno if this will help with regard to the map sprites of the heroes, but i believe i may have discovered something:

Its nothing concrete, i just figured it may help you in locating something.

I hypothesis that the rom checks if each character is of a specific class, example, Bowie, character 0, is a SDMN, class 0. if this is true, he defaults to his sprite 0 (guessing at that number). if this is false, regardless of what class he is changed to, he defaults to sprite 0 + 1. this is true even for characters who come promoted. their sprite will simply change to the next sprite in the list, and will appear to change character.

Did some more testing. doesnt seem to work as i thought...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30 2009 4:30am
by Space King
Hey Space King... is there any way to add more classes?

Help please :)

No you're just gonna have to change the ones you've already got. :lol:

It has mainly to do with the equipment tables if I recall correctly. The string table would probably throw a fuss at the same time. (Wouldn't it just be easier to write a Shining Force-like engine from scratch at that rate?)

Getting rid of the special promotions would let you eek out a little more use out of the space you're given.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01 2009 9:51pm
by Stordarth
I have one last request space king. we're currently setting up a test hack for the characters in the community game, and we're using the debug mode's battle test to accomplish it. problem is, the game rockets all of bowie's stats to 99 (besides move and mp). I've had a poke around, but cant find where these might be stored in the rom, and wondered if you might fare better. i also wonder if they would be stored as hex 99 or dec 99. i would guess the former?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02 2009 4:39am
by Abrane
So I decided to have fun with this when I saw it.. Been doubling every monsters stats (excluding gold) and only increasing movement by 1, which can mean a lot. Also been raising the monsters levels which I am assuming is dealing with AI... This will be fun to try with solo.. I have edited Bowie in a way where He will be fighting much differently than before... Havn't worked out the sprite thing yet.. Been wanting to edit it a bit.. But maybe I'll figure it out as I play.. As far as Bowie comes along...

Base: Projected:
Hp-20 Hp-100
MP-8 MP-35
ATK-10 ATK-60
DEF-10 DEF-54
AGI-10 AGI-60

Growth is all linear and I added some spells on a steady rate hope they seem fair.

Egress 1- LVL1
Heal 1-7
Heal 2-17
Heal 3-27
Heal 4-37
Bolt 1-12
Bolt 2-22
Bolt 3-32
Bolt 4-42
Boost 1-22
Boost 2-44

I'll do some screens once I get further at some big and hard parts

Edit: Bah.. Problem came up with the sprites.. For some reason I get a green ooze as my enemy and Chester as my attacker and everything freezes.. Help?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02 2009 7:57pm
by Stordarth
Abrane @ Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:39 am) wrote: So I decided to have fun with this when I saw it.. Been doubling every monsters stats (excluding gold) and only increasing movement by 1, which can mean a lot. Also been raising the monsters levels which I am assuming is dealing with AI... This will be fun to try with solo.. I have edited Bowie in a way where He will be fighting much differently than before... Havn't worked out the sprite thing yet.. Been wanting to edit it a bit.. But maybe I'll figure it out as I play.. As far as Bowie comes along...

Base: Projected:
Hp-20 Hp-100
MP-8 MP-35
ATK-10 ATK-60
DEF-10 DEF-54
AGI-10 AGI-60

Growth is all linear and I added some spells on a steady rate hope they seem fair.

Egress 1- LVL1
Heal 1-7
Heal 2-17
Heal 3-27
Heal 4-37
Bolt 1-12
Bolt 2-22
Bolt 3-32
Bolt 4-42
Boost 1-22
Boost 2-44

I'll do some screens once I get further at some big and hard parts

Edit: Bah.. Problem came up with the sprites.. For some reason I get a green ooze as my enemy and Chester as my attacker and everything freezes.. Help?

for the levels, monster level determines xp. if ur force is higher than the level of the monster, you get less xp. increasing the level means they will give more xp for longer, which is good if your after a high leveling game. if u want the opposite, you want to instead decrease their level

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02 2009 8:13pm
by Abrane
Stordarth @ Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:57 pm) wrote: for the levels, monster level determines xp. if ur force is higher than the level of the monster, you get less xp. increasing the level means they will give more xp for longer, which is good if your after a high leveling game. if u want the opposite, you want to instead decrease their level

Yah figured that when I hit lvl 7 and rats gave good exp still

Still game keeps messing with me with this error.. I remade the exact rom same everything but if I want to change sprites all hell freezes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15 2009 9:10pm
by Stordarth
Space King, I did some more checking into how the sprites are allocated, and i believe i've discovered how.

Its a bit hard to explain, so bare with me.

to aid in explanation, i am going to assign each class a value. here are the parameters that ive discovered:

if the class has 2 promotions, the unpromoted class is considered group 0. this goes for mage, knight, priest, warrior and archer.

if the class has only 1 promotion (i.e. every other class), the unpromoted class is considered group 1.

for the multipromotion classes, the promoted class is also considered group 1.

the special promotions are bundled in with the 2-class characters promotion classes in group 2.

EXAMPLE:

Sarah is a 3 class character. her 1st sprite is in group 0. if we change her to a class that is in group 1 (such as her vicar promo, or say, wolfman [not wolfbaron!]), her sprite increases by 1. If we put her in a class in group 2 (mastermonk, or Hero), her sprite increases an additional 1.

lets look at a 2 class character. Luke.

Luke, being 2 class, starts out in group 1. assigning him one of the group 0 classes (knight, mage, priest, warrior or archer), will reduce his sprite by 1 step (appearing as promoted gerhalt.) Assigning him a group 2 class will see his sprite increase by one (as seen under normal promotion circumstances).

in the cases where there is no pre promotion, the class is treated as if they did. for example, Higins is a paladin, and belongs in group 1. making him a knight (group 0) reduces his sprite value by 1, and making him a pegasus knight (group 2) makes it increase by 1.

Claude and zynk are treated as 2-class characters, but making them a group 0 class reduces their sprite value by 2.

i hope that makes sense. I dont think there's a work around you could do for it space king. i think the only way to get the required flexibility would be the ability to assign which group a class belongs to and which sprite it uses as it's group 1 sprite, and for the caravan to allow addition of new sprites.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25 2009 7:29pm
by Nemezy
I'm curious if there is some information on what and what-not-to-do on stat editing. The past 4-5 days I've been re-editing the stats of characters and monsters to get a different balanced gameplay. However I came on a small problem, everything was working fine on testing until I got to the point where Rohde joins the party. No matter what I do his stats remain different than what I have inputed using SF2edit.

I'm assuming this might have to do with values? Sorda like when editing item/character names you can't go over a certain number or otherwise it won't save the changes. Is it the same with editing stats? Or am I doing something wrong? It also might have to do something with pre-promoted characters, as it seems really coincidental that stat editing messes up on me with the first promoted character and all afterwards.

Anyone have some insight?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26 2009 6:27am
by Space King
what were the inputs, what were the outputs

a screen or two wouldn't hurt either

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26 2009 7:33am
by SirHedge
Doesn't it matter with when the game is loaded and when the stats were changed? I know if I change stats and then load an old state save the original stats are what the characters have, but then when they gain levels they do it based upon the new stats. Perhaps that is the issue? Or maybe I misunderstand the question.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26 2009 10:26pm
by Nemezy
Damnit, sorry I already deleted that save file so I can't get you pictures unless I replay up to that point. I've already started on re-editing stats aswell. But I'll try to give a bit of info on the difference of my stat editing.

"Most" of the force characters have between 200-350 hit points in their promoted class (by the time they get Lv40ish promoted w/Lv20 pre-promote.

Pre-promoted has very little stat growth (max hp being around 30-40, I did it this way so even if someone decided to hit lv40 pre-promoted it would not take out the challenge). Monsters start scaling faster around the Creed portion of the game (to keep in line with the massive scaling that happens once you promote the characters), this makes it REALLY difficult to stay unpromoted. And takes out that lv40 unpromoted edge through the game.

I also tried the exact opposite with stats. Starting out with characters only have 3-4 power and 1-2 defense, but the game completely ignores the edit if characters stats have been changed to low. (this is really easy to test, and it gives you the flip side)

I edit all my characters stats, spells, etc before I even start the game. Well I start it from time to time to make sure I've not done something to break the rom, but thats about it. Then after that's done I go through the game and edit/re-edit monster stats while I'm facing them one battle at a time to get the balance/challenge down.

That gives you a bit more of an idea of what I'm doing, and how I'm using the editor. Give me a few days to a week and I'll get up to the point where Rohde joins the party, if I get the same occurance I'll be sure to take some screenshots.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21 2009 12:00am
by Space King
Okay, a minor update today. Changes are noted on the page. Kudos goes to Nailcow for the info necessary for this update.

Note that I do not have an emulator installed right now to test anything; but I am full of faith.

Considering a new name for the app, am annoyed with it being confused with the save state editor. But not motivated enough to put work into thinking one up; if someone comes up with a good one I'll reward them with a million internet dollars (equivalent to zero real dollars and zero real cents).

Hungry.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21 2009 12:07am
by Hirsute
The Headquarters? HQ for short.

I was trying to think of something SFII related. Turns out The Caravan was a really good name :)

You could also name it after a character, like:
Astral's Editor or
Rohde's Workshop

Do you have a favourite character? You could name it after them in some way.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21 2009 1:56am
by BigNailCow
If you don't mind, I was planning to have the caravan edit all that stuff at some point, but I plan on doing it after everything else so your editor remains useful as long as possible. I don't really feel good about doing that, though, but it won't be a complete editor until it does.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21 2009 4:08am
by Space King
I completely understand and have no hard feelings; it was never my intention to make a complete editing suite, I haven't the time nor the moxie for such a project.

So do it do it do it and don't feel bad.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21 2009 1:22pm
by Destructiox
......why not just combine projects? If you so wish, that is. I mean, if you two think you can work together, and provide the community with a far more effective tool than the two we have already, it's all good, right? :p

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23 2009 3:27am
by jimnomorris
Hello everyone,

Came across this site because my buddy picked up a copy of Sonic Collection and was playing Shining Force II. So I went home and played it myself and of course, started nerding out like I was a kid again. :)

So I played and ripped through it and since I haven't played it in a awhile, noticed quite a few things that many people would agree could be tweaked. Regardless, I still loved the game and made my way to these forums and eventually discovered SF2Edit and the Caravan.

Working on my own build, I came back in hopes that everyone was still working on their respective projects and was surprised to hear that a new version of SF2 Edit came out (I'm keeping my eyes out for the new version of Caravan of course!).

After downloading Version 1.3, I noticed that along with the Critical and Double Attack Rates you had some mysterious question marks.

Well anyway, sorry if this had already been said elsewhere or it's already been figured out but the question marks represent like an "Attack Effect."

I have uploaded a picture of my build here. (I have a little knowledge of VB and was able to create my own temporary homebrew version to use for demonstration purposes.

I have playtested with both enemies and heroes and it works for both just fine.

If you test it out, do what I did and use the first battle. Set you up a gizmo with 253 HP and your party with the same HP.

Than choose the question marks that correspond with the picture that I linked to and have fun with it.

Minor and Major resistance also seem to play a role in how often they "trigger."

It's speculation but it is possible the reason why the MP Regen ("???" Attribute in Items) doesn't work, is because there is some sort of Trigger you gotta set.

All the ones in Version 1.3 seem to be Attack Triggers and they don't relate in anyway, but there could be some hard code around that area?

Well anyway, thanks for listening to me rant for a bit and I wanted to thank Space King and Big Nail Cow for giving me something to do on my off days.

http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww11 ... ffects.png

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23 2009 7:41pm
by Space King
Yeah, I figured that's what they would be for. No time to test right now. Will rename the buttons if there's a next build; thanks.

One thing that I occasionally ponder is dodge chance; SF1 had a field for it so you'd think SF2 would have it too...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04 2010 9:42pm
by sugarcube888
Hiya! Quick question, do you think you could make the program available for Macs? Please and thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21 2010 9:25am
by Space King
It would take a good deal of work, and I'd have to use a Mac emulator to test it, which'd probably take a long time to get on this fancy Dial up, and also there is a non-zero chance of becoming a crazy homeless man in the future, so.. no, I can't.

You'd have to use a Windows emulator, port the source, or create an editor from scratch.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22 2010 8:08pm
by sugarcube888
And where would one get a Windows emulator?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23 2010 4:30am
by Ose
Stordarth @ Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:51 pm) wrote: I have one last request space king. we're currently setting up a test hack for the characters in the community game, and we're using the debug mode's battle test to accomplish it. problem is, the game rockets all of bowie's stats to 99 (besides move and mp). I've had a poke around, but cant find where these might be stored in the rom, and wondered if you might fare better. i also wonder if they would be stored as hex 99 or dec 99. i would guess the former?

I had the same problem. The save state editor fixes this easy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23 2010 9:39am
by Space King
sugarcube888 @ Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:08 pm) wrote: And where would one get a Windows emulator?

Dunno.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30 2010 9:12am
by EricLegacy21
I actually didn't even know there was a release on SFII 0.o I'll have to give it a go one of these days =)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10 2011 1:41am
by Vegeta9001
Hi, i'm having trouble i'm trying to edit my Shining Force 2 game.

He's original name was...

Shining Force II (USA).md So i renamed it Shining Force II (USA).bin

When i open the rom nothing is hapening it's still all in gray and when i try to change something or look at the character stats i crash.

Do i have to download a special version of Shining Force 2?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12 2011 6:03am
by SirHedge
From the website linked in the original post:

"This editor only supports BIN files. If you only have a SMD file, you can use the built-in converter function to make yourself a BIN."

I'm assuming the first one is actually an SMD file and not an MD file so that you can convert it to a BIN file for use with SF2Edit. If that's not the case then I can't help.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13 2011 12:18am
by Lord Oddeye sama
Just downloaded the latest release and I'm having troubles with the stat calculator. Every time I try to use it I get "Run-time error '13'. Type mismatch." and the editor closes.

I am using a clean [!] rom of SF2. What could be the problem?

EDIT: fixed by fiddling with the "Regional and Language Options" in the control panel. Thank you Space King! :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12 2011 8:52am
by Mixfortune
I wasn't sure which thread would be best to ask this question as there's a few pertaining to the Shining Force 2 Editor and a few for the Caravan, so I just went with one that seemed to have some of the most recent posts.

I'm working on a private edit and I'm using both programs in tandem. I've fiddled with the Shining Force 2 Editor fields for a while and have figured out how they generally work, but most of the concrete progress I've done so far is with the Caravan, so I'm working with the expanded 4mb .bin rom.

The issue I seem to be having is that now when I open the Character Stats editor, the default values for the pointers on the Battle Sprite Model and Palette now all appear to contain triple digit 1xx values. For example, Elric 1 (Archer) has the default values of Model #136 and Palette #134, and May 1 (Ranger) has Model #144 and Palette #112. However, changing the values does nothing, regardless of whether I change it to the "original" range or the new ones. For example, changing Chester's Battle Sprite pointer to the old Rohde (19-1, I believe) or the new Rohde (166-164) had no effect; Chester's sprite remained as Chester's.

While I could circumvent this somewhat by exporting Rohde's sprite and importing it over Chester's with the Caravan, it would be much simpler in the long run if I could save importing and exporting solely for original color swaps.

Is there something I'm missing here as far as a means to fix this, or does something with expanded rom/importing-exporting of Battle Sprites simply cause the pointers to disconnect from their... pointees?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13 2011 6:59pm
by SirHedge
How astoundingly odd. Using my hacked ROM everything works in both of the two most recent releases of SF2Edit. However, using a fresh, unhacked 4MB ROM that's been converted by the Caravan I get the error you describe. That doesn't make any sense. Hopefully Space King will have time to look into this.

As for your hack itself, I hope you have a save of it prior to your attempted change of Chester's battle sprite to Rhode. I'm assuming that the numbers you are editing originated from code elsewhere in the ROM and what you're doing is overwriting that code, corrupting your hack. I certainly can't guarantee that since I don't really know how SF2Edit works, but that was my experience when I encountered strange entries in the past.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14 2011 2:12am
by Mixfortune
Aye, something definitely seems to have happened, as saving overhead map sprites results in the following error, along with the Caravan "crashing" or stopping.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "caravan.py", line 845, in OnSave
File "caravan.py", line 1047, in saveFile
File "rom.pyo", line 2935, in writeAllData
File "rom.pyo", line 3279, in writeSprites
File "rom.pyo", line 2773, in writeBytes
TypeError: Non-hexadecimal digit found

While everything else seems savable, such as editing Battle Sprites, the Sprites function now runs into this error 100% of the time when saving. I seem to recall I was able to successfully save a minor sprite edit on Karna prior to the errors, but after noting the 1xx values on SF2Editor, though. The rom is still runnable but I must've broke something in how it interacts with said editors, so it's likely I'll have to start over.

I'll have to keep more hack backups, but I didn't lose much this time around anyways.

I've tried to replicate the problem with another rom but have yet to come across the combination of edits that hits that sweet spot. In the meantime I'll just restart, throw the errors out as some sort of anomaly, and just ignore the pointers in SF2Editor and import them through Caravan instead.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14 2011 7:32am
by Space King
It... is pretty douchey of me, sitting on the fix for this for ~1/2 a year. So I went ahead and pushed a build that should fix this issue.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15 2011 12:24pm
by Mixfortune
Thanks, so far this seems to work.
Also, no worries about the timing, I can understand the pacing's a bit odd around here these days, and the fact that you were able to answer so quickly, as well as staying on top of being one of the few in the field, is definitely appreciated and more than makes up for it, haha.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18 2011 2:35am
by LordOddEye
Space King wrote:Release 1 is out there for ya'all.

There are a lot of "neat" things you can find in there; a lot of arrows seem to share the critical sword's "increased critical" mod. Also seeing how the alternate promotions compare to one another. Chester really looks like he got gimped with Pegasus Knight.

This should be sufficient to make a difficulty modification, or a character rebalance. Personally, Peter is massively overpowered; he should have his move reduced to 6 and his defense and life reduced somewhat. In the same vein, birdman oughta be bumped back up to 7 move - does anyone have any idea why they dropped it to 6 in this game?

Another handy use of it could be to set the default names of people to HUMAN NAMES THAT AREN'T ALL IN CAPS.

Very Nice Good Job!

PostPosted: Fri May 06 2011 7:55pm
by Earl
Space King wrote:It... is pretty douchey of me, sitting on the fix for this for ~1/2 a year. So I went ahead and pushed a build that should fix this issue.

Heh. Thanks. I just ran into the same problem as Mixfortune.

The only thing I did with SF2Edit was to rename characters. It sounds like what changed from 1.5a-b fixes whatever went wonky, but in case there was still mystery as to what might trigger the error I thought I'd throw that out there since I hadn't done the kind of extensive editing that'd be difficult to reproduce.

PostPosted: Sat May 07 2011 11:12am
by Space King
It was entirely my fault - when I was changing the program to locate data lists off of the places that list their address in the rom, I was sloppy and careless and left in an incorrect assumption (BNC did text me a list of locations, so there's no excuse).

However, I'm using my evil ex as an excuse. It's all her fault.

PostPosted: Sat May 07 2011 1:40pm
by Stordarth
Space King wrote:It was entirely my fault - when I was changing the program to locate data lists off of the places that list their address in the rom, I was sloppy and careless and left in an incorrect assumption (BNC did text me a list of locations, so there's no excuse).

However, I'm using my evil ex as an excuse. It's all her fault.

A perfectly valid excuse if I may say so.

PostPosted: Wed May 11 2011 1:44pm
by RastaOddeye
It's really good to be able to give people different spells, i've give lemon both levels of desoul, i've give kiwi magic points and gave him katon and demon breath. Gerhalt, Zynk and Claude all have boost and attack.

PostPosted: Wed May 11 2011 5:27pm
by Aldur
RastaOddeye wrote:It's really good to be able to give people different spells, i've give lemon both levels of desoul, i've give kiwi magic points and gave him katon and demon breath. Gerhalt, Zynk and Claude all have boost and attack.

What's the reasoning? As wouldn't that make unbalanced characters even more unbalanced? O_o

PostPosted: Wed May 11 2011 6:09pm
by Stordarth
Aldur wrote:
RastaOddeye wrote:It's really good to be able to give people different spells, i've give lemon both levels of desoul, i've give kiwi magic points and gave him katon and demon breath. Gerhalt, Zynk and Claude all have boost and attack.

What's the reasoning? As wouldn't that make unbalanced characters even more unbalanced? O_o

Maybe he's just playing around?

I remember when I first found this I had all kinds of fun making Kiwi's breath a spell usable at will and doubling his hp.

Ahhhhh, fun times.

PostPosted: Wed May 11 2011 11:19pm
by nightshade00123
I did the same thing when I first started to get a feel for what I could do, and plus some force members just sucked. But I quickly realized balance and playability are the main things that make it fun and a lasting experience rather than uber pwn everything that crosses my path.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01 2011 12:56pm
by RastaOddeye
One problem i keep having is when i get to new granseal having used this editor, it never lets me in the war room, just freezes with a black screen.

And on the shop editor it has "Bonus Shop", i've never encountered this before so can i ask what it is please?

Alsoi think i speak for everyone when i ask why this thread has not been stickied?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01 2011 3:20pm
by Stordarth
Stickied. i intended to do it, but it slipped my mind.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02 2011 4:47pm
by nightshade00123
While I was adding in new spells for my characters I came across something weird. As I was trying to complete one of my classes with it's new spells it said "This program limits expanding this section beyond 500 times". I certainly haven't added 500 spells total between the characters not even close, maybe about 160 between them all.

What does this mean, aside from the obvious, is their a rom limit. I know I can't just manually insert bytes into the rom for spells using a hex editor because it will shift data below it and move pointers around and cause problems.

So Spaceking if you read this can you tell me if this can be bypassed or if I can fix it in some way?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15 2011 2:13am
by Space King
It's 500 bytes. Each spell takes 2. Each stat block takes around 10 or so.

If start with a fresh rom, use the Caravan's expando-routine, then it should lift the limit.

Since you've asked for it, I can lift it in a mini-release whenever I feel like doing it. But that may be months from now.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15 2011 3:28am
by nightshade00123
Thanks for the reply. It's already been expanded though so I don't know. But I've cut a few corners and changed my characters spells up a little and made room so I've learned to live with it.

As for the mini-release that would be pretty neat any time you got around to it. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15 2011 6:52pm
by Space King
nightshade00123 wrote:It's already been expanded though so I don't know.

Boooo, that isn't supposed to work like that

Okay, see if this fixes that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15 2011 11:27pm
by nightshade00123
LOL, well that was fast. But anyways I just opened up a rom I was working on and tried the old version v15b, for comparison sake, and I only had room for 55 more spells to be added and the program stopped me.

I then switched to your new version v15c and began adding spells and got to around 80 or so added new spells and decided that it fixed whatever was stopping it before. :) So thank you very much. I'm sure others will enjoy this as well and a very speedy fix too! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16 2011 7:36am
by Noma
nightshade00123 wrote:LOL, well that was fast. But anyways I just opened up a rom I was working on and tried the old version v15b, for comparison sake, and I only had room for 55 more spells to be added and the program stopped me.

I then switched to your new version v15c and began adding spells and got to around 80 or so added new spells and decided that it fixed whatever was stopping it before. :) So thank you very much. I'm sure others will enjoy this as well and a very speedy fix too! :thumbsup:

Forgive me for sounding stupid, but what exactly do you mean by adding spells? Do you mean adding them to a character, or ? I don't quite understand.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16 2011 5:56pm
by nightshade00123
Well most people probably won't run into this problem because it's when you start making new classes, such as giving characters a class who don't normally have a pre-promo class, and adding spells to the characters there is limit of 500 bytes implemented by SFedit. Every new pre-promo class implemented and every new spell added adds bytes to this limit.

The new pre-promo class adds a byte for every new stat/starting stat of the class, ie. strength,agility,defense etc., and also includes bytes for the growth types as well for each stat. So that's quit a few extra bytes added for a new class alone and then on top of that it will add I think 2 bytes for each new spell given to the characters, 1 byte for the spell type and level and another byte for the level it's learned at.

The problem starts when you start to approach byte 500 and hit the mark the editor will no longer allow new bytes to be inserted, meaning no new spells or extra stat blocks, and thus won't add any new changes to either of these that you try to implement. Like I said it's not a problem with most people because that will take quit a bit of effort to reach.

But his new version he just put up let's you pass the 500 limit so no more problem. :)

Also on a side note if people are trying to implement the last 2 available classes by using a hex editor, the ones not editable through SFedit, and you implement them in your game whenever you use SFedit and add new spells/stat blocks it will shift the data of your new classes as they are not used by SFedit. Meaning that they will have funky move rates and all sorts of other glitched stats. So be careful.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08 2011 8:47pm
by T300
Sorry for Necro - how the hell do I give a monster over 255 HP? If I type a higher number in either HP field, it rejects it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08 2011 8:54pm
by Stordarth
You shoull see two different values. One shows HP, and one should say something like HP>255 or 256 or something. That should have 0 in for all monsters except Zeon. Basically, whatever value you put into this is multiplied by 255/256 (forget precisely which) and added as HP. The game then adds whatever you put in the basic HP box to however many 255s/256s you told it to add.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08 2011 8:55pm
by T300
Beautiful, thanks!

I'm making a hack ^^

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08 2011 8:58pm
by Stordarth
No problem, and cool. What's your hack focusing on?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08 2011 9:04pm
by T300
Well due to my lack of knowledge with the Caravan, it'll be a long time if I ever release it, but it's going to be turning around the game entirely - every monster has a unique name, some of which refer to characters in other lores, mythologies and ideas, some of which I conjure up.

Every creature has some 30% change to stats/spells/abilities.
Every force member has been greatly revised - all NPC's and PC's will have about 240% the stats they have at the end of the regular game. This hack will require a lot of grinding as a result - I expect to add about 15 more hours to the game.

Certain Dialogue has been changed, some fights have more "repeat" spawn points, and certain sprites will only appear once, as a super-tough boss, or side-boss of their own. Every creature has been given a name to reflect it's appearance or concept in the games storyline, and some can only be taken down by exploiting a certain weakness (or gimmick) - the clue is often in the name, hidden away.

This is visually no different, bar a few added/removed spawns during battles. I plan to make it a homage to other games, and ideas.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13 2011 1:12pm
by RastaOddeye
Sounds really good that. i'll be impressed if its completed.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15 2011 5:17pm
by T300
RastaOddeye wrote:Sounds really good that. i'll be impressed if its completed.

It's on Hiatus until someone can help me with my problem. My thread is a bit further down the first page.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07 2011 11:54pm
by Stordarth
Hey Space King. I have a request.

I started looking at the Community Project rom again. Part of the reason I put in on hiatus is due to a hack that went wrong that I couldn't bring myself to try to fix.

Well, I delved into it and fixed it, but I'm using a custom hack that SF2 Edit doesn't seem to want to play nice with.

Basically, BNC helped me to move the Class names so that I'd have more room for them to a different location. Problem is, when I save using SF2 Edit, it overwrites this particular pointer with the original one.

Fortunately all of my other pointers seem to remain intact. This was with 1.5a and 1.5c. I can only assume the other versions do this also.

Is there anything you can do to stop this?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09 2011 2:42pm
by Space King
The editor treats the item and class names as one lovely blob...

It would probably be most expedient to pm me the ips and I'll see if I can help, and how much work it'll take.

PostPosted: Tue May 01 2012 10:49pm
by aoinodragon
can anyone give me a valid link for this editor ?

i want to start my own little hack but can't find any
i've been playing around with the caravan but i need this editor as well

PostPosted: Wed May 02 2012 10:33am
by Noma
Space King recently updated the editor to 1.6, but posted it in a new topic.

The direct link is here: http://dradius.8k.com/

The topic is here: http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21505

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12 2012 12:11am
by SFJake
Link is dead :/ Or at least I'm forbidden to use it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12 2012 7:24am
by Noma
The link i posted above worked just fine for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12 2012 7:53am
by SFJake
I click the link, then Program.

I get

"Forbidden
Remote Host: [173.177.137.195]

You do not have permission to access this page or file
Data files must be stored on the same site they are linked from.

Thank you for using FreeServers"

Is it possible for it to be hosted somewhere known that anybody can download it from? Such as mediafire? Free servers is obviously not a very good host.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12 2012 11:57am
by NekoNova
download link works fine for me as well.
Definitly has to be something on your side Jake.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12 2012 4:57pm
by SFJake
Its a problem on my side, its a problem on the website. I tried on multiple computers, same result. Can someone just help?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12 2012 6:17pm
by NekoNova
Uploaded the file to my SkyDrive: http://sdrv.ms/N36IBr
See if you can download it now. Took "Program" zip file, hope that's what you wanted.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12 2012 7:45pm
by SFJake
Yes, thanks a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02 2018 11:32pm
by VenomMagus
Hey, this has been dead ...years now, but is anybody still using this program and/or offering support? I downloaded fine, and the lists seem intact, but going to edit anything gives me an error :( :(

Hoping for some assistance, ...from somewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02 2019 9:14am
by loveshining
Convert smd to bin file then edit the bin file

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09 2019 1:03am
by Space King
VenomMagus wrote:Hey, this has been dead ...years now

I'm still alive, at least~

As loveshining said, we're trying to get away from interleaved Super Magic Drive files. This utility has a built in SMD -> BIN function in it, so you shouldn't have to even download anything else if that's causing your issue.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09 2019 1:08pm
by Stordarth
Holy shit. Good to see you Space King. How goes it?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09 2019 7:43pm
by FfuzzyLogik
Hello there !

As you're here for a new time Space King, I'd like to say you a "hello" because in few days I've read many things about your work...

If you came back and intend to continue to make it better, it shall be a very good new for the (few) modders are here. According to the things I read, I have a suggestion who may be of use for some modders. Would it be possible to change the limit of "3" for range to let your editor apply the range to higer rates (some mods make it possible but values can't be changed over the old limits with your tool if I'm right). Siel who looks a promising and efficient "hex editer" made some patches and with some accuracy. Some of his work could probably be placed on your editor as "options". These are just suggestions for sure !

If you just came to say hi, I'm pretty sure the old ones will be also pleased.
As a very newcomer here, I'd just thank you because your tool is "easy to use" and helps a lot for the beginners who wants to give a try to mod this old but very nice game.

I hope you enjoyed making it as much as I enjoy the discoveries of possibilities of your tool.
Have a nice day,
FfuzzyLogik.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03 2019 3:59pm
by Space King
FfuzzyLogik wrote:Would it be possible to change the limit of "3" for range to let your editor apply the range to higer rates

Okie. Min and max range cap for items and spells is now 255. You can get the updated version at Romhacking. Let me know if I forgot some other place that has range.

(I think that ranges above 3 cause a hardlock in the default game, but I might be mistaken and it might revert to 0 range. It's been over a decade since I've tested this after all.)

Sorry I took so long for this minor request. I especially regret I didn't do it two days ago.

--

I've always provided the source so anyone who wants to can create their own fork and version of the utility. In practice.... that... barely ever happened.

In the past few years I had entertained ideas of making the thing more flexible, such as:

* Being able to let users create their own form layouts, able to edit arbitrary bytes.

* Having an "apply"+"remove" hack feature.

But I've decided these aren't realistic. The first one has the same problem as sharing the source did - only technically inclined users would make modules, and, honestly the feature would be strictly worse than a community-managed editor.

The second is inferior to a decently maintained forum post. It'd be nice if we had these small hacks consolidated in one place, but a utility without it being linked to a database would be kind of a dead squirrel. (And again, it's overkill versus how much use it'd see. It's not comparable to say Mario Multiverse levels. Dedicated hack authors can hunt these down better than any repository I personally could maintain.)

Stordarth wrote:Holy shit. Good to see you Space King. How goes it?

Starting to finally feel this "aging" thing, not looking forward to what the 40's have for us~

Given up on making games with graphics and music solo, seems that was an unrealistic dream to say the least. Have been considering learning Ruby and making some ASCii games, though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03 2019 9:03pm
by Wiz
Space King wrote:I've always provided the source so anyone who wants to can create their own fork and version of the utility. In practice.... that... barely ever happened.

Hey Space King, did you know that a few years ago I did this ? :shifty:
https://github.com/wizardwhosaysni/SF2EDITPOC

Here's a bit of explanation :

The more progress we make on project "SF2DISASM" (a split disassembly which builds back the game's ROM entirely, with an actual assembler which naturally re-computes all pointers), the more the resulting ROMs can become incompatible with what SF2Edit currently expects in terms of data location.
On 4MB expanded builds, structures are moved to make room for data expansion, and also code can be edited and moved, so hardcoded values are not in the same exact locations anymore.

That's why I wanted to update your editor, to keep it compatible with what we can build from the disassembly, by making it work on individual split binary files directly.

Now, a few years later, we're able to format most of the stats data structures into assembly text files instead of binaries, and also with macros for easier editability, proper versioning, etc., so the need for a global editor in such working environment makes a bit less sense.

But still, the idea of leaving behind your beloved editor is really sad, and I'd love to contribute in a way or another to ensure that our respective efforts can be combined in the best possible way.

When I see your ideas about how to make the editor more flexible, this is actually the kind of needs that are naturally answered by the disassembly approach, I think :
Space King wrote:* Being able to let users create their own form layouts, able to edit arbitrary bytes.

In the disassembly, since code and data is split into individual files, changes can be applied locally, on single data structures, by several tiny editing tools, instead of a single big one.
So anybody is free to create their own tools, in any language they want, to work on a specific part of the disassembly, contributing to the existing tool suite.
And even when tools are still not available, most data structures can be formatted as text files for direct editability. GUI tools can then focus on providing more ergonomic editability where needed only, when a text editor is not enough.
Space King wrote:* Having an "apply"+"remove" hack feature.

The more we rely on text files instead of binary files, the more we can rely on source code management with solutions like CVS/SVN and now Mercurial/Git, to keep a history of changes, and to export changes as single patch files, for instance.
Currently we're using GitHub to host all of our "disassembly-oriented" projects, and it's quite practical !
But I must say I've never used git patches yet, so I can't confirm that you can easily combine them without any merging issues, it may depend on the complexity of changes, obviously.
Instead of Git patches, I've preferred to provide tutorials for everybody to apply the needed changes to their own disassembly working directory.
But yeah more generally, SCMs are a good way to apply/revert sets of changes these days so that's a good thing we can re-create a whole development environment similar to what Camelot must have had (lots of individual code/data items built with an assembler), while benefiting from modern versioning solutions for collaborative projects.

Wow, sorry for the long post, I hope that's not too indigestible ...

I just wanted to share my thoughts on why I'd love to see modders keep using SF2 Editor on SF2 disassemblies when it's more practical than just text files. :)

In any case, you should know that your notes from SF2 Editor have been (and still are) a very precious source of information to continue to figure out code and data related to the stats engine, and I can't thank you enough for that ! :damnit:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05 2019 5:43pm
by FfuzzyLogik
Whoops, and you told you're slow to answer !?
Just to place here some few poor words compared to Wiz's answer... I took more than a month... How pitiful I'm...
Sorry for that and thanks alot !
I made some face for Sir Hedge, you'd like some for your icon ? (For Space King and Wiz too but I haven't reworked Chaz's face for now). Tell me whitch one to do (a rework of SFII's unit).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06 2019 3:41pm
by Volcannon
So is there any details on the Bonus Shop and if anyone has actually located it?