Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Shining Force 2 Editor Release

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Re: Shining Force 2 Editor Release

Postby Stordarth » Sun Feb 15 2009 9:10pm

Space King, I did some more checking into how the sprites are allocated, and i believe i've discovered how.

Its a bit hard to explain, so bare with me.

to aid in explanation, i am going to assign each class a value. here are the parameters that ive discovered:

if the class has 2 promotions, the unpromoted class is considered group 0. this goes for mage, knight, priest, warrior and archer.

if the class has only 1 promotion (i.e. every other class), the unpromoted class is considered group 1.

for the multipromotion classes, the promoted class is also considered group 1.

the special promotions are bundled in with the 2-class characters promotion classes in group 2.

EXAMPLE:

Sarah is a 3 class character. her 1st sprite is in group 0. if we change her to a class that is in group 1 (such as her vicar promo, or say, wolfman [not wolfbaron!]), her sprite increases by 1. If we put her in a class in group 2 (mastermonk, or Hero), her sprite increases an additional 1.

lets look at a 2 class character. Luke.

Luke, being 2 class, starts out in group 1. assigning him one of the group 0 classes (knight, mage, priest, warrior or archer), will reduce his sprite by 1 step (appearing as promoted gerhalt.) Assigning him a group 2 class will see his sprite increase by one (as seen under normal promotion circumstances).

in the cases where there is no pre promotion, the class is treated as if they did. for example, Higins is a paladin, and belongs in group 1. making him a knight (group 0) reduces his sprite value by 1, and making him a pegasus knight (group 2) makes it increase by 1.

Claude and zynk are treated as 2-class characters, but making them a group 0 class reduces their sprite value by 2.

i hope that makes sense. I dont think there's a work around you could do for it space king. i think the only way to get the required flexibility would be the ability to assign which group a class belongs to and which sprite it uses as it's group 1 sprite, and for the caravan to allow addition of new sprites.

Code: Select all
Dice Codes
Attack/Marked Target: /roll 8d100
Damage Variance (Rebels): /roll d26 [Everyone.]
Damage Variance (Emissaries): /roll d24 [Assassins with Katana], /roll d21 [MXC, TUM with Blade], /roll d26 [Any other case.]
Magic: /roll d26
Status Effects: /roll d100
Level-Ups (No MP): /roll 4d11
Level-Ups (Has MP): /roll 5d11

---
SFCW-A: Durandar
Sunken Castle: Fintan Kahn

Code: Select all
Dice Codes
Attack/Marked Target: /roll 8d100
Damage Variance (Rebels): /roll d26 [Everyone.]
Damage Variance (Emissaries): /roll d24 [Assassins with Katana], /roll d21 [MXC, TUM with Blade], /roll d26 [Any other case.]
Magic: /roll d26
Status Effects: /roll d100
Level-Ups (No MP): /roll 4d11
Level-Ups (Has MP): /roll 5d11

---
SFCW-A: Durandar
Sunken Castle: Fintan Kahn
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Nemezy » Wed Feb 25 2009 7:29pm

I'm curious if there is some information on what and what-not-to-do on stat editing. The past 4-5 days I've been re-editing the stats of characters and monsters to get a different balanced gameplay. However I came on a small problem, everything was working fine on testing until I got to the point where Rohde joins the party. No matter what I do his stats remain different than what I have inputed using SF2edit.

I'm assuming this might have to do with values? Sorda like when editing item/character names you can't go over a certain number or otherwise it won't save the changes. Is it the same with editing stats? Or am I doing something wrong? It also might have to do something with pre-promoted characters, as it seems really coincidental that stat editing messes up on me with the first promoted character and all afterwards.

Anyone have some insight?
~Truely, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind.~
-Edward D. Morrison
-Edward D. Morrison
Nemezy

Whacked with the Banstick

Postby Space King » Thu Feb 26 2009 6:27am

what were the inputs, what were the outputs

a screen or two wouldn't hurt either
Space King

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby SirHedge » Thu Feb 26 2009 7:33am

Doesn't it matter with when the game is loaded and when the stats were changed? I know if I change stats and then load an old state save the original stats are what the characters have, but then when they gain levels they do it based upon the new stats. Perhaps that is the issue? Or maybe I misunderstand the question.
SirHedge

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Nemezy » Thu Feb 26 2009 10:26pm

Damnit, sorry I already deleted that save file so I can't get you pictures unless I replay up to that point. I've already started on re-editing stats aswell. But I'll try to give a bit of info on the difference of my stat editing.

"Most" of the force characters have between 200-350 hit points in their promoted class (by the time they get Lv40ish promoted w/Lv20 pre-promote.

Pre-promoted has very little stat growth (max hp being around 30-40, I did it this way so even if someone decided to hit lv40 pre-promoted it would not take out the challenge). Monsters start scaling faster around the Creed portion of the game (to keep in line with the massive scaling that happens once you promote the characters), this makes it REALLY difficult to stay unpromoted. And takes out that lv40 unpromoted edge through the game.

I also tried the exact opposite with stats. Starting out with characters only have 3-4 power and 1-2 defense, but the game completely ignores the edit if characters stats have been changed to low. (this is really easy to test, and it gives you the flip side)

I edit all my characters stats, spells, etc before I even start the game. Well I start it from time to time to make sure I've not done something to break the rom, but thats about it. Then after that's done I go through the game and edit/re-edit monster stats while I'm facing them one battle at a time to get the balance/challenge down.

That gives you a bit more of an idea of what I'm doing, and how I'm using the editor. Give me a few days to a week and I'll get up to the point where Rohde joins the party, if I get the same occurance I'll be sure to take some screenshots.
-Edward D. Morrison
-Edward D. Morrison
Nemezy

Postby Space King » Tue Apr 21 2009 12:00am

Okay, a minor update today. Changes are noted on the page. Kudos goes to Nailcow for the info necessary for this update.

Note that I do not have an emulator installed right now to test anything; but I am full of faith.

Considering a new name for the app, am annoyed with it being confused with the save state editor. But not motivated enough to put work into thinking one up; if someone comes up with a good one I'll reward them with a million internet dollars (equivalent to zero real dollars and zero real cents).

Hungry.
Space King

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Hirsute » Tue Apr 21 2009 12:07am

The Headquarters? HQ for short.

I was trying to think of something SFII related. Turns out The Caravan was a really good name :)

You could also name it after a character, like:
Astral's Editor or
Rohde's Workshop

Do you have a favourite character? You could name it after them in some way.
"...the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Bill Watterson, Calvin & Hobbes

Aldur wrote:Oh my god Hirsute, you're a sadistic bastard.

Hirsute's Shining Force 2 Mod
Every battle redesigned. Characters rebalanced. Fun increased. Try it now!
"...the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Bill Watterson, Calvin & Hobbes

Aldur wrote:Oh my god Hirsute, you're a sadistic bastard.

Hirsute's Shining Force 2 Mod
Every battle redesigned. Characters rebalanced. Fun increased. Try it now!
Hirsute

Emperor of Canada
Shining Legend

Postby BigNailCow » Tue Apr 21 2009 1:56am

If you don't mind, I was planning to have the caravan edit all that stuff at some point, but I plan on doing it after everything else so your editor remains useful as long as possible. I don't really feel good about doing that, though, but it won't be a complete editor until it does.
BigNailCow

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Space King » Tue Apr 21 2009 4:08am

I completely understand and have no hard feelings; it was never my intention to make a complete editing suite, I haven't the time nor the moxie for such a project.

So do it do it do it and don't feel bad.
Space King

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Destructiox » Tue Apr 21 2009 1:22pm

......why not just combine projects? If you so wish, that is. I mean, if you two think you can work together, and provide the community with a far more effective tool than the two we have already, it's all good, right? :p
(Not so) 'Elite' hacker of #sf2hack, irc.darkmyst.org

My sonic hack here.

I have a blog!

Also, hello.
(Not so) 'Elite' hacker of #sf2hack, irc.darkmyst.org

My sonic hack here.

I have a blog!

Also, hello.
Destructiox

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby jimnomorris » Thu Apr 23 2009 3:27am

Hello everyone,

Came across this site because my buddy picked up a copy of Sonic Collection and was playing Shining Force II. So I went home and played it myself and of course, started nerding out like I was a kid again. :)

So I played and ripped through it and since I haven't played it in a awhile, noticed quite a few things that many people would agree could be tweaked. Regardless, I still loved the game and made my way to these forums and eventually discovered SF2Edit and the Caravan.

Working on my own build, I came back in hopes that everyone was still working on their respective projects and was surprised to hear that a new version of SF2 Edit came out (I'm keeping my eyes out for the new version of Caravan of course!).

After downloading Version 1.3, I noticed that along with the Critical and Double Attack Rates you had some mysterious question marks.

Well anyway, sorry if this had already been said elsewhere or it's already been figured out but the question marks represent like an "Attack Effect."

I have uploaded a picture of my build here. (I have a little knowledge of VB and was able to create my own temporary homebrew version to use for demonstration purposes.

I have playtested with both enemies and heroes and it works for both just fine.

If you test it out, do what I did and use the first battle. Set you up a gizmo with 253 HP and your party with the same HP.

Than choose the question marks that correspond with the picture that I linked to and have fun with it.

Minor and Major resistance also seem to play a role in how often they "trigger."

It's speculation but it is possible the reason why the MP Regen ("???" Attribute in Items) doesn't work, is because there is some sort of Trigger you gotta set.

All the ones in Version 1.3 seem to be Attack Triggers and they don't relate in anyway, but there could be some hard code around that area?

Well anyway, thanks for listening to me rant for a bit and I wanted to thank Space King and Big Nail Cow for giving me something to do on my off days.

http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww11 ... ffects.png
jimnomorris

Postby Space King » Thu Apr 23 2009 7:41pm

Yeah, I figured that's what they would be for. No time to test right now. Will rename the buttons if there's a next build; thanks.

One thing that I occasionally ponder is dodge chance; SF1 had a field for it so you'd think SF2 would have it too...
Space King

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby sugarcube888 » Sat Dec 04 2010 9:42pm

Hiya! Quick question, do you think you could make the program available for Macs? Please and thank you!
sugarcube888

Postby Space King » Tue Dec 21 2010 9:25am

It would take a good deal of work, and I'd have to use a Mac emulator to test it, which'd probably take a long time to get on this fancy Dial up, and also there is a non-zero chance of becoming a crazy homeless man in the future, so.. no, I can't.

You'd have to use a Windows emulator, port the source, or create an editor from scratch.
Space King

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby sugarcube888 » Wed Dec 22 2010 8:08pm

And where would one get a Windows emulator?
sugarcube888

Postby Ose » Thu Dec 23 2010 4:30am

Stordarth @ Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:51 pm) wrote: I have one last request space king. we're currently setting up a test hack for the characters in the community game, and we're using the debug mode's battle test to accomplish it. problem is, the game rockets all of bowie's stats to 99 (besides move and mp). I've had a poke around, but cant find where these might be stored in the rom, and wondered if you might fare better. i also wonder if they would be stored as hex 99 or dec 99. i would guess the former?

I had the same problem. The save state editor fixes this easy.
There is no such thing as magic.
There is no such thing as magic.
Ose

Postby Space King » Thu Dec 23 2010 9:39am

sugarcube888 @ Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:08 pm) wrote: And where would one get a Windows emulator?

Dunno.
Space King

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby EricLegacy21 » Thu Dec 30 2010 9:12am

I actually didn't even know there was a release on SFII 0.o I'll have to give it a go one of these days =)
EricLegacy21

Hero of the Shining Light
Shining Member

Postby Vegeta9001 » Mon Jan 10 2011 1:41am

Hi, i'm having trouble i'm trying to edit my Shining Force 2 game.

He's original name was...

Shining Force II (USA).md So i renamed it Shining Force II (USA).bin

When i open the rom nothing is hapening it's still all in gray and when i try to change something or look at the character stats i crash.

Do i have to download a special version of Shining Force 2?
Vegeta9001

Postby SirHedge » Wed Jan 12 2011 6:03am

From the website linked in the original post:

"This editor only supports BIN files. If you only have a SMD file, you can use the built-in converter function to make yourself a BIN."

I'm assuming the first one is actually an SMD file and not an MD file so that you can convert it to a BIN file for use with SF2Edit. If that's not the case then I can't help.
SirHedge

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force II