Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force II
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

The Caravan v0.6 UNSTABLE

Emphasis on UNSTABLE!

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Re: The Caravan v0.6 UNSTABLE

Postby Earl » Sat May 14 2011 12:28pm

For those of you who are interested in the dialog...

239 - The Ancient Tower is a{N}sacred place where only the{N}King can go.{W1}
... and the next line seen in gameplay ...
880 - Mmmm....{N}Hmmm...mmmm....{W1}

Which was in Bank 34.

I had given up finding the next line, assuming that the text that accompanies an event would be somehow tied up in the event. Then I just figured 'Hey, there's only 67' and started going through them all. Which is good, because as I went, there were a few chunks of text I missed, and now I know where they are.

The intro text wasn't so bad. It was in bank 65, which I found pretty quick. I mean, if it's not at the beginning, it's probably at the end, right? Also at the end are bookcase and well messages.
Earl

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Stordarth » Sat May 14 2011 12:37pm

it might be good to have a thread with all of these text banks logged. That way, people can use the search function in their browser to quickly locate the text they want, assuming they know the line they're after, since the caravan currently lacks this search capability.

I know myself when hacking those campaign videos and teh salibu stuff, that it was the most time consuming part of the hack outside of portrait editing.

They can be separated into a single post by quotes for each text bank, and the whole thing spoilered.

i'm tempted to get on that myself unless you've got them all logged somewhere Earl.

Code: Select all
Dice Codes
Attack/Marked Target: /roll 8d100
Damage Variance (Rebels): /roll d18 [Blake with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Damage Variance (Emissaries): /roll d16 [Zuberi with Blade], /roll d21 [Rain with Katana, Thrald with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Magic: /roll d26
Status Effects: /roll d100
Level-Ups (No/Fixed MP): /roll 4d11
Level-Ups (Has MP): /roll 5d11

---
SFCW-A: Durandar
Sunken Castle: Fintan Kahn

Dice Codes
Damage Variance (Rebels): /roll d18 [Blake with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]
Damage Variance (Emissaries): /roll d16 [Zuberi with Blade], /roll d21 [Rain with Katana, Thrald with Blade], /roll d26 [Other cases.]

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Earl » Sun May 15 2011 8:28am

I was just going through the game normally, and erasing lines as I came across them (so I could keep track of what I'd already found). I think it's easier to do it that way than to go by bank -- at least for me it seems easier to keep straight in my head skipping around the banks, rather than skipping around the game's chronology.

What I've been doing is adding lines to a .txt in this sort of format:
Chester
887 - Oops!{W1}
(walks to Astral)
888 - Sorry, sir!{W1}

Sarah (walks beside Chester)
889 - Well, we just followed you....{W1}

Astral (faces Sarah)
88a - Don't lie to me.{N}You wanted to see the{N}castle, didn't you?{W1}

Because if you're changing stuff, some stage direction will be handy to understand context.

Also, because it's such a massive thing and could quickly grow beyond my means to keep track of, I've been breaking it up by area. So I've got a .txt of the intro, one of the witch, one for Granseal, Yeel, Hawel's house... Right now, I'm not sure whether I'll have separate files for Granseal first visit and Granseal return trip (the one that ends with the earthquake)...

If someone else would like to give me a hand, I would love them forever and ever.
But considering that the first stage of my hack will take me to that earthquake bit and I'm already about halfway there, I call dibs on everything pre-Grans relocation.

If anyone would like an extended example, I've attached the intro.
Which, I'm kind of embarrassed to admit, is the first time I've watched the whole thing...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Earl

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Stordarth » Sun May 15 2011 12:09pm

Oh i see. You're reordering the story text lines based on when they appear in the story?

That will be handy to know as well.

Dice Codes

---

Dice Codes

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Hirsute » Sun May 15 2011 12:52pm

omg if we had a way to cross-reference the text banks with where they appear in the game... that would save sooo much time.
"...the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Bill Watterson, Calvin & Hobbes

Aldur wrote:Oh my god Hirsute, you're a sadistic bastard.

Hirsute's Shining Force 2 Mod
Every battle redesigned. Characters rebalanced. Fun increased. Try it now!
"...the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

Hirsute

Emperor of Canada
Shining Legend

Postby Stordarth » Sun May 15 2011 6:33pm

Hirsute wrote:omg if we had a way to cross-reference the text banks with where they appear in the game... that would save sooo much time.

Between Earl's and mine, that should be doable once they're finished. Earl's will be in story order with the line number, you can search for the line number in mine to find the text bank it sits in. Everyone wins.

Dice Codes

---

Dice Codes

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby nightshade00123 » Sun May 15 2011 7:49pm

I'm so glad somebody decided to undertake this.......................lord knows this would be very difficult for me because of time restraints, so I hope the best for you gentleman.

Seeing this makes me look forward to a finished caravan, no matter how long it takes, so we can play all new shining force games made by the community and such, it's going to be so awesooooome having new stories, characters, and all the other ideas implemented that people have and cannot yet do.
nightshade00123

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Earl » Wed May 18 2011 6:31am

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Heh.

You know what would be really handy? Something that would show you what text looked like as you entered it, so you could figure out where to put line breaks without guessing and without having to check in-game. Other than that minor thing, the text revisions are going smoothly. Maybe I'll be able to put something out in the next week or two.
Earl

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Noma » Wed May 18 2011 6:54am

Earl wrote:Image

The best thing I've ever seen...ever. :thumbsup:
All-Stars Mod: WIP, Revived! Check it out!
Noma

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby nightshade00123 » Wed May 18 2011 8:26am

[quote="Earl"]Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

LOL that's great. I would play a mod without any changes to statistics or characters what so ever if it had text just like that through the WHOLE game.
nightshade00123

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Stordarth » Wed May 18 2011 2:14pm

Nicely done Earl.

And I totally agree. Text placement is a real pain with no indicator. One of the most time consuming parts was test and line break and restest for my SOS hacks. There's no real standard for it either. Kinda just have to eyeball it and hope for the best.

Dice Codes

---

Dice Codes

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Hirsute » Wed May 18 2011 3:48pm

Earl that's fantastic. Now I'll have to re-do all the dialogue in my mod.

Also, is there not a set number of characters per line, or is it more complicated than that?

Hirsute

Emperor of Canada
Shining Legend

Postby Earl » Thu May 19 2011 7:02am

Hirsute wrote:Also, is there not a set number of characters per line, or is it more complicated than that?

The font is variable width, (so "iiiiiiiii" takes up less room than "MMMMMM") so it is more complicated.

I'm kind of getting a feel for it, but Stor's right. The only standard -- if you can call it that -- in the original game seems to be 'make this dialogue take up three lines, whether it needs to or not'. Heh. Maybe they had the same kind of problem, and just erred on the side of caution (eg, just getting it displayed, not getting it displayed in the least amount of lines).

At the moment, there doesn't seem to be any limit as to how much new text you can put in. Granted, I haven't really pushed it in any single place, but I have probably added quite a bit cumulatively. Maybe I'll be paying for this later on... but the way this is going "later on" will be MUCH later.

And thanks for the comments. In feel, I'm going for something like Your Highness. The switching around of characters offers up some funny possibilities, too... for instance, Khris replaces Sarah and Tao replaces Kazin, so they'll be running off together at the end...
Earl

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Stordarth » Thu May 19 2011 9:02pm

Khris: Tao's 'special' friend.

:lol:

Dice Codes

---

Dice Codes

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Mixfortune » Fri May 20 2011 12:56am

I seemed to recall something about the text editing being "incomplete" in the sense that it could cause future lines to corrupt or break. Does this only then seem to occur if even a single text box breaks its tables/limitations, or can this occur as an anomaly regardless due to some sort of compression wizardry?
Mixfortune

Postby Earl » Fri May 20 2011 7:16am

I haven't had any kind of problem like that. Maybe I'm just not far enough in to see the disastrous results that effect things further into the game... maybe I haven't pushed against the limits hard enough to cause weirdness... at this point, I have no idea.
Earl

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Stordarth » Sat May 28 2011 5:27pm

Anyone else think this should have been stickied ages ago?

(Stickies)

Dice Codes

---

Dice Codes

---
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby nightshade00123 » Sat May 28 2011 5:50pm

I agree. No reason to let something this valuable just slip away.
nightshade00123

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Noma » Mon Jul 18 2011 6:29am

Aldur requested someone upload the Caravan, as he can't download it from where BNC uploaded it. So here is a mirror:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VU9SNHUC

One more:

http://www.4shared.com/file/nMcnfTfh/Caravan-v06-UNSTABLE.html
Noma

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Mormegil » Sun Jun 02 2013 6:37am

since i am new here i wanted to ask, is this the latest version of this editor ?
Mormegil

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force II