Shining Force: Improved SF1 Retranslation (IPS patch available!)

Last update: 9/21/2014, patch version 2.1

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Moderator: Shining Moderators

taleden

Re: Improved SF1 Retranslation

Post by taleden »

Omega Entity wrote:Considering the katakana of his name is ラグ (Lagu/Ragu) and not ルグ (Lugu/Rugu), Lug is more appropriate, pronunciation-wise.
Ah, alright then. I guess when I saw that SF:CD used the same spelling as the fan translation, I assumed its voiced pronunciation would also be more accurate, but of course that was too much to hope for. It'll be "Lug" in the next update.

Now, if someone were so inclined to actually try the patch and comment on the new chapter 1 script, that would be lovely. :)

EDIT 9/21/2014:
I have completed all of Chapter 2, including headquarters dialogue and Nova's battle advice. An updated IPS patch is available in the first post.
sbloom85
Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Improved SF1 Retranslation (IPS patch available!)

Post by sbloom85 »

Got it patched and will be playing it tomorrow.

Good luck with the rest of the translation. It looks a lot nicer than the official translation so far.
Trovador
The Shining Troubadour
Shining Member

Post by Trovador »

I'll be playing.
Thanks!
@trovadordasgerais (Instagram)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArCwUmnfrpE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tggrng123

Post by tggrng123 »

^_^ YES!!! Thank you for your hard work on this!
Righteous Force
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Righteous Force »

So this is finally happening? Well that's great, but if it's being changed a bit too much, I won't be happy about it. Still thinking about the nightmare of the fan translated BoF2 game. Which left me very, very cold of fan re-translations of something in English already. Totally ruined that game for me, among other things. But once this is done I will finally give it a try then and let you know what I think. And even if it's more negative stuff, relax, I'm just one person.

But either way, this is something I've been waiting for some time now, so my hopes will be very high...
Omega Entity
*jiggle*
Shining Legend

Post by Omega Entity »

Oh give me a f*cking break. All we hear from you is entitled whining, SF. Personally, though the BoF2 retranslation took some liberties,I felt that the gist of the story itself was still there, and made some aspects of it clearer.

That someone's taken the time to do that translation, and now Taleden doing this, I say STFU and take what you can get. Translating is a difficult art with a lot of room for interpretation, especially for the Asian languages. Your bitching makes you sound like a complete ingrate, especially considering that these translations are FREE. At least show some goddamned appreciation, rather than being an ungrateful little bitch.
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD

Any game I'm in should be considered a dating game.

SFCW Cailin's Character Sheet

SFCW Fiona's Character Sheet

SC Character Sheet
Righteous Force
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Righteous Force »

But, criticism is much better then blind butt kissing, Omega. And blind butt kissing is all I ever see. So frankly, very sick of it. Things could be much better in the world with more honest criticism.

The biggest flaw with the BoF2 translation was way, way to many modern day jokes/references/& chit chat. Which totally broke the reality that I was playing something from the way past. So because it did that to the point where it felt like folks were talking like everyday modern people, the game's reality was totally broken to me to the point that it felt like I was playing an obnoxious fan retranslation with works like "penis, pussy and lots of thrust" added just because they guy thought it would be funny.

Now on the other hand, if this guy doing this translation job can make some good enough creative changes that comes even somewhat close to a la the lines of that Ted Woosely guy's brief translation job working for early Sqeensoft games pre-something 7, then I'd consider it a great success. Cause I have no idea how that guy did it, but man, I so wish that guy never listened to his wife and moved to where that company was moving to keep doing translations and being in the business. Played some more accurate fan retranslations of the games that Ted guy originally did, and I couldn't go much further cause the changes Ted made where so much for the better.

So yes, much better job could always be done, so still lots of hope in doing things this way. But even if he succeeds, still not everybody is going to like it. Criticism is always going to be around, and the artist himself will have to decide for himself with what criticism he'll accept for the directions he's hoping to evolve in. So in the end what I might say to this project might not matter at all anyways to the artist translator anyways. But still not need to make a big stink about it. Let me say my thoughts in peace and leave. It can be that simple.
captainn

Post by captainn »

Hello everybody, just wondering if this is still being worked on. I would love to see a proper retranslation myself. I still love the original game.
taleden

Post by taleden »

captainn wrote:Hello everybody, just wondering if this is still being worked on. I would love to see a proper retranslation myself. I still love the original game.
It's definitely still on my project list, I just had to take a little break for the holidays, and then had some other hobby projects to catch up on. And I kept hesitating to post here since I know these forums won't let me post a second time in a row, and they get so little traffic that I didn't want to get stuck with real news to report and not being allowed to bump the thread because my own post was still last.

Anyway, yes, still working on it. Probably won't have another chapter to post for a few weeks yet at least, but if anyone has tried the patch I posted so far, let me know what you think!

(Edit: wow, I see now that you posted that over a month ago, but I just now received the notification email that there was a new post in this thread; is that normal? Is something wrong with the forum server?
captainn

Post by captainn »

I did post it a month ago but I just got an email saying that the post was approved since I'm a new member, so it just posted.
ShadowDragon
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by ShadowDragon »

very cool so far~!
Tonberry2000

Post by Tonberry2000 »

This is exciting. I've played this game many times, so I'm always looking for a new reason to go through it again.
thepeaguy
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by thepeaguy »

I'll play Shining Force again once the retranslation is complete. Will Shining Force II's retranslation be a possibility, perchance?
Reincar

Post by Reincar »

Is this project still going? Don't drop it, please.
taleden

Post by taleden »

It's not dropped, just on rotation with other hobby projects and RL stuff (traveling, buying a house, fun times). Hoping to get back to it soon, though, and always happy to hear any feedback on what's posted so far.

EDIT: As for SF2 retranslation, that would depend entirely on someone fluent in Japanese (and ideally also in English) to go over the original SF2 japanese script and give us their take on it. From there, I could theoretically do the same process of tweaking and rearranging it to fit well in the game dialogue boxes, assuming there's a comparable utility to edit the script in the SF2 ROM. I'm also not sure if it would be as useful an exercise, since I'm not sure of the quality of the official SF2 English translation; it could be they did a better job of it so there'd be less to gain from redoing it.
Matroska

Post by Matroska »

The version numbering threw me off. Typically v1.0 would be the finished translation and anything above that would be tweaks and corrections. I read a little closer and saw it was actually about 25% complete. I hope OP finds time and motivation to finish this. I'm looking forward to it.
igotbored07

Post by igotbored07 »

I'm about to jump into what's here, and I'm really looking forward to it~ ^^

Post by ResidentLeever »

Sounds interesting, though I will also wait for a full version to check it out.

It might be a good idea to make an alternate patch with localized char names, town names and quest item names kept intact. It's more convenient if playing and checking guides and references at the same time, for one thing, and sometimes the names just sound better, like Luke vs Lug.
Darksoul2142

Post by Darksoul2142 »

Was just getting back into playing SF1 after a long time (last played it in 2005) and downloaded this.

The patching went fine but the problem starts when I load it up in Kega it simply says incorrect checksum and hard resets.

Tried renaming the file extension to .bin but nope still broken.
Lobo
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Lobo »

I know there is some way to fix checksum.
Can't remember how it is, but I guess Google may be your friend on that matter.