Shining Force: Shining Force Graphic Upgrade v4.0 Released 05/07/22

Updated Character and Weapon sprites

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Moderator: Shining Moderators

Erikin84
Shining Member
Shining Member

Shining Force Graphic Upgrade v4.0 Released 05/07/22

Post by Erikin84 »

Hello everyone!

The mod has gone through a overhaul in which all weapons have been given their own unique model, along with the force members getting a boost in overall graphic quality. Animations have also been reorganized and redone to be a bit faster in game than before. Added special weapon drops from bosses like Balbazak/Elliott/Mishaela/Ramladu. They don't have any spell effects and reflect the same strength in attacks like the weapons that's available at that time(keeping the balance), but it will be nice to have something new to use.

If you run into any issues, please use the link below to go to my Discord Channel. I'll have a bugs section for you to report it.

https://discord.gg/KaVPuCkVK7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can download the IPS patch here, you will need an unmodified .bin file of Shining Force:
http://sfmods.com/resources/shining-for ... pgrade.10/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a quick preview of what is in this mod:
New weapon sprites for all classes.
New Battle sprites for all characters. No more palette swaps!
More unique kings(no more "Attack of the clone kings" during your playthrough)
Unique enemy types, these do not replace existing enemies, all battles should work exactly the same, you'll just have more variety in enemies to face.
Mishaela has a slightly different introduction and dialogue in earlier chapters. She has her own sprite that actually looks like her...
The only thing I have done that wasn't exclusively Graphic oriented, was Jogurt. He now levels/promotes to a Yogurt Hero and can cast spells, his stats are based on Arthur's at the moment, and he can use all weapons. Why? Because he's Batman...I mean Jogurt!

A quick shout out to those who helped make this possible:
Spoiler
First and foremost, Rubixcuber:
His amazing editor made all of this possible. His work over the years to update and optimize all features is what made any of my work here exist. I am forever grateful for his hard work.

Xenometal:
His mastery of hex editing has been paramount to a lot of things in the background you may not see, but is very important. Most notably, he's the reason there's a new blast effect animation.

Tyadran:
His previous work inspired me to start modding, and he was very helpful in teaching me the ropes.

Projectego:
He and Dan's amazing artwork is proudly featured here. He also runs a fantastic website named SFmods.com where pixel artists share their work for all things Shining Force.

Alones:
His icons are amazing and it really lifts up the game in terms of graphical quality.

Spriter's Resource:
There are a lot of great resources there that I have found for this mod, please check them out.
https://www.spriters-resource.com/genes ... scd/S.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
===================================================================

Release notes:

V4.0
Long story short, redid some of the artwork that were lacking and replaced some with SFCD models that felt more appropriate. More unique drops by special bosses so there's more variety in weapons to collect.

Spoiler
Added new frames for select forcemembers.
Added new chapter screens(Kudos to Ivan)

V3.1a
Small fix to an enemy choosing incorrect mapsprite/battlesprites.

V3.1
Centaur characters got a new facelift with new sprites.
Enemy battle sorites have reworked or replaced something more fitting.
Added additional battle sprites.
Animations, palettes, items have all been tweaked slightly.
Characters who can wield the Chaos breaker will know show on their map sprites when in their inventory. They will also have a different animation when attacking with it.

A lot more misc. tweaks than even I can remember, so keep an eye out for them all!

V3.0e
Updated idles for some characters.

Updated Jogurt so he can have a promotion, and he also levels fine as far as I can tell.
Jogurt can also wield most weapons, only staffs he can't equip.

Updated Lyle's attack animation for the buster shot and assault shell.

Updated Luke with a new set by the talented Dan.

V3.0d
Fixed an issue where Tao didn't have any staffs appear during the battle cutscene
V3.0c
Updated the portraits so the kings in Alterone/Prompt/Waral are unique and not sharing the same portrait.

V3.0b
Fixed an issue where a cracked item would cause a crash upon repairing.

V3.0a
Corrected some issues with enemy units not selecting the right sprites, palette fixes.

Updated Jogurt so he properly "promotes" even though he doesn't really promote to anything, you can promote him whenever he reaches 20. I have changed the name of the Jogurt ring to Jogurt Suit, and when you give/use the item on a forcemember, they will appear in the battle scene with a suit that looks like jogurt (from the Game Boy advance version)

Updated Guntz, his promoted spriteset is now a converted GBA spriteset.

Corrected some odd map issues that affected certain events from behaving properly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Erikin84 on Thu May 26 2022 7:13pm, edited 206 times in total.
Runesamurai
Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Graphic changes for Shining Force

Post by Runesamurai »

Excellent work. I really look forward to playing this. But don't forget to credit Tyadran since you're using some of his sprites.
Tyadran
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Tyadran »

? I didn't edit any sprites, they're just palette swaps.
Tyadran - Modding Sega Genesis games since 2013.
Developer of The Paladin in Green.
Check me out on Twitch (and YouTube).
LordOddEye
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by LordOddEye »

Erikin84,

This looks pretty interesting I'm definitely looking forward to see how you progress with this. I will check in again soon. I'm planning to do another run through with Tyadran's mod so this is perfect.

By the way welcome to the community I see this is your first post I'd like to greet you on behalf of everyone.

Best Regards,

LordOddEye
Creator of the Shining Force Gaiden Final Conflict Remake:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=40095
Diego_Didakus
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Diego_Didakus »

Excelent job. SF1 needs a graphic overhaul like this. You plan to do more changes?
Check out my projects: https://quasarcorpsgame.com.br/

Speaking...tires me.
Fighting...tires me
I'm tired.
Runesamurai
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Runesamurai »

@Tyadran and @Erikin84 My apologies.

@Erikin84: I really look forward to playing this. It looks awesome already.
Erikin84
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Erikin84 »

Yes, actually. I have updated the sprites for the promoted classes. Like Tao and Luke now have their hair in their promoted status too, this carried over to everyone using those sprites, so I've had to update the palettes for them too. It's been a challenge as the palettes for the battle sprites tend to get finicky when you're doing stuff to it (the main reason for the delay). I'm mostly done with it, i should have it released in by:
Friday, March 9th 2018
Last edited by Erikin84 on Sat Mar 10 2018 4:19am, edited 1 time in total.
Runesamurai
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Runesamurai »

Best of luck to you my good man.
Erikin84
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Erikin84 »

Finally, it's here. With a couple hours to spare...Please let me know what you all think. I will work on the preview and get it up asap
Runesamurai
Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Graphic changes for Shining Force 1.00 Released

Post by Runesamurai »

Apparently this mod is not compatible with the SF1 editor. Also where is the Playable Kane version?

EDIT: I regret to have to inform you that this mod doesn't work yet. It goes black after the opening screen.
Erikin84
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Erikin84 »

What emulator are you using? I use the Kega Fusion and it works on that. This was created with the SF1 Editor.
Last edited by Erikin84 on Sat Mar 10 2018 8:09am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyadran
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Tyadran »

As opposed to what Runesamurai said, the mod works perfectly.
If people don't notice, this is an ips patch.

To get it to work you need to first apply my mod's patch to a copy of the US Shining Force .bin, and then apply the graphics mod patch on top of that.

Hopefully this eliminates any confusion and problems getting it to work.

EDIT: It might also be a good idea to include a version of the mod for the regular game, without my changes, since some people may want to use your graphics but not my additions. Just a thought. In case you were unaware, your mod currently doesn't work with a normal copy of SF1 (I tried it).
Erikin84
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Erikin84 »

At the moment the link shown is set for your Playable Kane mod. I will release a normal game patch for those interested.
Runesamurai
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Runesamurai »

Tyadran wrote:As opposed to what Runesamurai said, the mod works perfectly.
If people don't notice, this is an ips patch.

To get it to work you need to first apply my mod's patch to a copy of the US Shining Force .bin, and then apply the graphics mod patch on top of that.

Hopefully this eliminates any confusion and problems getting it to work.

EDIT: It might also be a good idea to include a version of the mod for the regular game, without my changes, since some people may want to use your graphics but not my additions. Just a thought. In case you were unaware, your mod currently doesn't work with a normal copy of SF1 (I tried it).
Ah ok that must be what I did wrong.

EDIT: Yep that was the problem. It's working just fine now. :)

Double Edit: This mod is awesome. The swords and so many other things look so much better now!
Neutral
Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Graphic changes for Shining Force 1.1 Released

Post by Neutral »

Is it possible to do alternative portraits for daring dress/amazing swimsuit?
Or battle sprites idk
Tyadran
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Tyadran »

Neutral wrote:Is it possible to do alternative portraits for daring dress/amazing swimsuit?
Or battle sprites idk
It's possible to do battle sprites but that's a lot of work to make new sprites for. Portraits I don't think are currently supported.
Runesamurai
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Runesamurai »

Neutral wrote:Is it possible to do alternative portraits for daring dress/amazing swimsuit?
Or battle sprites idk
I too wondered this. I'm sure it's possible since people have made custom portraits and battle sprites before. It would just be REALLY difficult. But yeah I'm sure it can be done since RotDD did it.

EDIT: I just tried the new updated version of this patch. It crashes if you try to run it in the editor. It also doesn't seem to work. But I might've just screwed up somewhere again.
Tyadran
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Tyadran »

Runesamurai wrote: I too wondered this. I'm sure it's possible since people have made custom portraits and battle sprites before. It would just be REALLY difficult. But yeah I'm sure it can be done since RotDD did it.
RotDD is a terrible example of what can be done with the editor.
Making alternate battle sprites would be easy and is supported in the editor.
Making alternate portraits I don't believe is supported. While hypothetically possible, you'd have to learn some assembly and program that in yourself.
Runesamurai
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Runesamurai »

Tyadran wrote:
Runesamurai wrote: I too wondered this. I'm sure it's possible since people have made custom portraits and battle sprites before. It would just be REALLY difficult. But yeah I'm sure it can be done since RotDD did it.
Making alternate portraits I don't believe is supported. While hypothetically possible, you'd have to learn some assembly and program that in yourself.
Yeah that wasn't exactly the best example since they're kind of a different game on a different console. ^^;

EDIT: @Erikin84: I think you should add the new patch versions but still keep the old ones on the first page. Some people might have taste preferences and such.

DOUBLE EDIT: 1.4 looks weird in the editor. And for some reason it crashes my game shortly during the dialogue with Varios in a new game.

TRIPLE EDIT: Apparently 1.4 is not compatible with the Playable Kane mod. You need a normal non-modded SF1 Rom for it to work.
Erikin84
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Erikin84 »

Runesamurai wrote:
Tyadran wrote:
Yeah that wasn't exactly the best example since they're kind of a different game on a different console. ^^;

EDIT: @Erikin84: I think you should add the new patch versions but still keep the old ones on the first page. Some people might have taste preferences and such.

DOUBLE EDIT: 1.4 looks weird in the editor. And for some reason it crashes my game shortly during the dialogue with Varios in a new game.

TRIPLE EDIT: Apparently 1.4 is not compatible with the Playable Kane mod. You need a normal non-modded SF1 Rom for it to work.

I have tested it and it works fine, i went through Varios' starting dialogue with no crashing. and you'll have to be more specific with the "weird" in editor.